In 1874, construction began on Saugus' second and present town hall. The cornerstone was laid on October 17, 1874. The day's exercises began with a procession from Sutton Hall up Chestnut Street, through Winter and Central Streets, up Main Street, through Summer Street, down Pleasant Street, and down Central Street to the site of the Town Hall. The Rev. Mr. Allen delivered an invocation and then the stone was laid by members of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The East Saugus Brass Band provided music. Harmon Hall then made the introductory remarks. Nathaniel P. Banks followed with an oration. Wilbur F. Newhall made the closing remarks. The exercises ended with a benediction by Rev. F. V. Tenney.
Saugus Town Hall was built on a low, wet piece of land purchased from Samuel A. Parker. The land was filled at great expense and construction of the town hall put Saugus in a $50,000 debt. This was one of the reasons that the neighborhood of East Saugus sought to be set off from Saugus and annexed to the city of Lynn. East Saugus was unable to get a bill in both houses of the state legislature, and the issue was dropped after the town appropriated $5,000 for the laying of water pipes through East Saugus.
The building was officially dedicated on March 1, 1877. It was attended by residents from Saugus as well as from surrounding communities. Seated on the stage were dignitaries from Saugus and Lynn, including the Saugus Board of Selectmen, Lynn mayor Samuel M. Bubier, and former Lynn mayors James N. Buffum and Hiram N. Breed. The dedicatory address was given by Wendell Phillips. Mayor Buffum then made a speech and was followed by Building Committee Chairman E. P. Robinson, who made a brief speech followed by a formal handing over of the building's keys to Board of Selectmen Chairman E. W. Newhall, who also spoke. The hymn Old 100th was then sung and Rev. Samuel Jackson ended the ceremony with a benediction.
Read more about this topic: Saugus Town Hall
Other articles related to "construction":
... Construction began on 5 August 1956, according to the plans drawn up by the architects Trần Văn Đường and Đỗ Bá Vinh, while the directing engineers were Dư Ngọc Ánh and Hồ T ...
... plan for Bournbrook and Selly Oak which includes the construction of a £350 million retail development and the construction of the Selly Oak bypass ... The hospital was designed by BDP Architects and construction, which was undertaken by Balfour Beatty, began in June 2006 ... Five Liebherr 280 EC tower cranes supplied by Balfour Beatty Civil Construction Plant Services (BBCCPS) were used during construction ...
... undertaken by San Roman, an affiliate of the incumbent construction company Agroman ... a conviction redemption for risking their lives working on the monument construction.. ... to the official programme records, 2,643 workers participated directly in the construction, some of them highly skilled, as required by the complexity of the work ...
... Main article Thessaloniki Metro The construction of the Thessaloniki Metropolitan Railway began in 2006 and is scheduled for completion in late 2014, where it is set to become the city's most vital public ... Attiko Metro company is considering the construction of an overground network or a monorail ... a southeast borough of Thessaloniki, has already become part of the initial construction phase, while future expansions are considered and planned for Efkarpia to the north and Evosmos to the ...
Famous quotes containing the word construction:
“Theres no art
To find the minds construction in the face:
He was a gentleman on whom I built
An absolute trust.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“No construction stiff working overtime takes more stress and straining than we did just to stay high.”
—Gus Van Sant, U.S. screenwriter and director, and Dan Yost. Bob Hughes (Matt Dillon)
“No real vital character in fiction is altogether a conscious construction of the author. On the contrary, it may be a sort of parasitic growth upon the authors personality, developing by internal necessity as much as by external addition.”
—T.S. (Thomas Stearns)