San Giacomo Dell'Orio
The Chiesa di San Giacomo dall'Orio (or San Giacomo Apostolo - St James the Apostle) is a church in Venice, northern Italy, located in the sestiere (quarter) of Santa Croce).
The origin of the church's name is unknown. Possibilities include being named after a laurel (lauro) that once stood nearby, a version of dal Rio ("of the river"), or once standing on an area of dried-up swamp (luprio). It was founded in the 9th century and rebuilt in 1225. The campanile dates from this period. There have been a number of rebuildings since that time (including a major renovation in 1532) and the ship's keel roof dates from the 14th century. Two of the columns were brought back from the Fourth Crusade.
San Giacomo dall'Orio is a parish church of the Vicariate of San Polo-Santa Croce-Dorsoduro. The other churches in the parish are San Stae and San Zandegolà.
Famous quotes containing the word san:
“Mining today is an affair of mathematics, of finance, of the latest in engineering skill. Cautious men behind polished desks in San Francisco figure out in advance the amount of metal to a cubic yard, the number of yards washed a day, the cost of each operation. They have no need of grubstakes.”
—Merle Colby, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)