Works and Activism
Other works (besides the ones mentioned above) were:
- Pamphlet: "Jüdische Anmerkungen zu den Bemerkungen eines Protestanten" (anon.), Emden, 1841 (response to a provocative and antisemitic pamphlet by an anonymous Protestant);
- Pamphlet: "Die Religion im Bunde mit dem Fortschritt (anon.), Frankfurt am Main, 1854 (response to provocations from the side of the Reform-dominated "Main Community");
- "Uebersetzung und Erklärung des Pentateuchs,", 5 volumes 1867-78 (Hirsch's innovative and influential Torah commentary, see below);
- Pamphlets during the Secession Debate:
- "Das Princip der Gewissensfreiheit," 1874;
- "Der Austritt aus der Gemeinde," 1876
- "Uebersetzung und Erklärung der Psalmen", 1882 (Hirsch's commentary on the book of Psalms);
- "Ueber die Beziehungen des Talmuds zum Judenthum", 1884 (a defense of Talmudic literature against anti-Semitic slanders in Russia)
He left in manuscript at the time of his death a translation and explanation of the prayer-book which was subsequently published. The publication, in several volumes, of his collected writings (Gesammelte Schriften or Nachalath Zwi) was begun in 1902.
Most of Hirsch's writings have been translated into English and Hebrew by his descendants, starting with "Horeb" in the 1950s (by Dayan Isidore Grunfeld of London) and his Torah commentary in the 1960s (by his grandson Isaac Levi, also of London). The bulk of his Collected Writings, that had previously been published in German in 1902-12 under the title Nachalath Zwi, were translated between 1984 and 2012 in memory of his grandson Joseph Breuer.
Read more about this topic: Samson Raphael Hirsch
Other articles related to "works, work":
... The Works Progress Administration (renamed during 1939 as the Works Project Administration WPA) was the largest and most ambitious New Deal agency, employing millions of ... Writers documented local and state histories, artists painted murals and other works for new federal post offices and other buildings ...
... Norman Rockwell was a prolific artist, producing over 4,000 original works in his lifetime ... Most of his works are either in public collections, or have been destroyed in fire or other misfortunes ... America), were only slightly overshadowed by his most popular of calendar works the "Four Seasons" illustrations for Brown Bigelow that were published for 17 years beginning in 1947 and reproduced in various styles ...
... der Unkraft, 1813, a recantation of his earlier work Martin Luther Kunigunde die Heilige, 1815 Geistliche Übungen für drei Tage, 1818 Die Mutter der Makkabäer, 1820 Zacharias Werner's Theater ...
... Krasicki's major works won European fame and were translated into Latin, French, German, Italian, Russian, Czech, Croatian, Slovene, Hungarian ... The broad reception of his works was sustained throughout the 19th century ... Krasicki has been the subject of works by poets of the Polish Enlightenment – Stanisław Trembecki, Franciszek Zabłocki, Wojciech Mier – and in the 20th century, by Konstanty Ildefons Gałczy ...
Famous quotes containing the word works:
“It [Egypt] has more wonders in it than any other country in the world and provides more works that defy description than any other place.”
—Herodotus (c. 484424 B.C.)