Read Hall and Park was the seat of the Nowell family from the 14th century and Roger Nowell was a magistrate at the time of the Lancashire Witches in 1612 sending them to Lancaster for trial and eventual execution.
In the 1870s Victoria Mill, together with a few houses for employees, was built alongside the turnpike road by the Kemp family and this area of Read became known as Newtown. More houses and shops were built using stone quarried in the village and Read now has a variety of small businesses catering for many needs.
The parish church is dedicated to St John Evangelist by Henry Ross of Accrington, 1884, with the west steeple dating from 1911.
The nearby Martholme Viaduct, about 1 mile (1.6 km) south-west carried the defunct Great Harwood loop line of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway over the River Calder between Simonstone and Great Harwood and was built by Sturges Meek, 1870–77, and consists of ten 65 ft high arches on a gentle curve
Read more about this topic: Read, Lancashire
Other articles related to "buildings, building":
... is noted for its unique Pueblo Revival architectural style, with many of the buildings designed by former university architect John Gaw Meem, who is credited with imbuing the campus with its distinctive ... There are eight university buildings listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places ... They include Hodgin Hall, the University's first building, and two adjacent structures the Art Annex and Sara Reynolds Hall ...
... Most buildings in the commercial district, as well as many homes, feature stylistic interpretations of the timber-framed buildings found in the Franconia ... is marked by the use of timbers in "square" and "X" patterns on the outside of buildings, as well as the use of "X" patterns on windows, doors, and other building ... The concept of building with this unique Bavarian architecture came from an architect, Ed Beech, who was working for William "Tiny" Zehnder on a remodeling job of the Fischer Hotel ...
... The buildings of the campus were designed by internationally renowned Modernist architect Paul Rudolph beginning in the early 1960s, to distinguish the ... The building architecture is similar to that of the Boston Government Service Center ... Rudolph made both the exterior and interior of each building of rough concrete (béton brut), an essential element of the style known as Brutalism, and he endowed buildings with large windows, with ...
... an impressive station and hotel that was damaged in this attack but its main building remained in use until demolished in the 1960s during the building of the Victoria ... The original westbound platform buildings remain on the opposite side of Holloway Road, as does a small part of the original entrance to the left of the present station entrance ... A red plaque mounted on a building wall overlooking the roundabout, commemorates this event ...
... Ewyas Harold, possibly on the site of earlier wooden monastic buildings of which no traces remain ... Construction of buildings in local sandstone began around 1175, and continued through the time of the first three abbots, Adam (1186-c.1216), Adam II (c.1216-1236), and Stephen of Worcester (1236–1257) ... The presbytery was expanded, and additional chapels, a processional ambulatory, and domestic buildings including a chapter house were added ...
Famous quotes containing the word buildings:
“Now, since our condition accommodates things to itself, and transforms them according to itself, we no longer know things in their reality; for nothing comes to us that is not altered and falsified by our Senses. When the compass, the square, and the rule are untrue, all the calculations drawn from them, all the buildings erected by their measure, are of necessity also defective and out of plumb. The uncertainty of our senses renders uncertain everything that they produce.”
—Michel de Montaigne (15331592)
“The desert is a natural extension of the inner silence of the body. If humanitys language, technology, and buildings are an extension of its constructive faculties, the desert alone is an extension of its capacity for absence, the ideal schema of humanitys disappearance.”
—Jean Baudrillard (b. 1929)