Poulton-le-Fylde

Poulton-le-Fylde (also known as Poulton) is a market town in Lancashire, England, situated on the coastal plain called the Fylde. As of the 2001 United Kingdom census, it had a population of 18,264. There is evidence of human habitation in the area from 12,000 years ago and several archaeological finds from Roman settlement in England have been found in the area. At the time of the Norman conquest of England Poulton was a small agricultural settlement in the hundred of Amounderness. The church of St Chad was recorded in 1094 when it was endowed to Lancaster Priory. By the post-Medieval period the town had become an important commercial centre for the region with weekly and triannual markets. Goods were imported and exported through two harbours on the River Wyre. In 1837, the town was described as the "metropolis of the Fylde", but its commercial importance waned from the mid-19th century with the development of the nearby coastal resorts of Fleetwood and Blackpool.

Poulton has the administrative centre of the borough of Wyre and is in the parliamentary constituency of Wyre and Preston North. It is part of the Blackpool Urban Area and approximately 6.5 miles (10.5 km) from Blackpool town centre; there are rail links to Blackpool and Preston, and bus routes to the larger towns and villages of the Fylde. Poulton has a library and two secondary schools. There is a farmers' market once a month and since October 2011 there has been a weekly market on Mondays in the centre of the town.

Read more about Poulton-le-Fylde:  Governance, Geography, Demography, Economy, Culture and Community, Landmarks, Religion, Transport, Education, Public Services

Other related articles:

Poulton-le-Fylde - Public Services
... National health services are provided by NHS North West and primary care is delivered by the NHS North Lancashire Primary Care Trust ... In 2004, the Poulton Market Town Initiative noted 11 general practices in the town (including Carleton) ...