Pavonia, New Netherland - Modern Pavonia

Modern Pavonia

Though the entire region was originally Pavonia, the name now tends to be associated with the former Jersey City area of the Horseshoe encompassing Harsimus Cove, Hamilton Park, WALDO-Powerhouse. The former site of the Erie Railroad's Hudson waterfront Pavonia Terminal and the Pavonia Ferry has since the 1980s been redeveloped as Newport. The PATH rapid transit system's Newport Station, formerly called Pavonia, and the Hudson Bergen Light Rail Pavonia-Newport station are in this section of the city.

Pavonia Avenue is a street broken in sections as runs east-west in Pavonia Newport, at Hamilton Park, in Journal Square, and in the Marion Section. Pavonia Court, at the Newark Bay in Bayonne takes its name from the Pavonia Yacht Club established in 1859 on the New York Bay. There is also a Pavonia Avenue in Kearny. Saint Peter's College, located on land that was part of the patroonship, has as its mascot a peacock, to which its publications make reference:Pauw Wow (newspaper), Pavan (literary magazine), Peacock Pie (yearbook). There is also a Pavonia Branch of the Jersey City Public Library system. The Pavonia Yard streetcar depot was located near Five Corners. The Pavonia Yard, located in Camden. was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which also maintained terminals and yards in Downtown Jersey City.

Read more about this topic:  Pavonia, New Netherland

Famous quotes containing the word modern:

    Any historian of the literature of the modern age will take virtually for granted the adversary intention, the actually subversive intention, that characterizes modern writing—he will perceive its clear purpose of detaching the reader from the habits of thought and feeling that the larger culture imposes, of giving him a ground and a vantage point from which to judge and condemn, and perhaps revise, the culture that produces him.
    Lionel Trilling (1905–1975)