Vol 1 (ISBN 9789834359614) was launched in February 2008 in Kuala Lumpur. edited by Amir Muhammad and featured six writers. They are, in order of appearance in the book:
- Brian Yap's The Trouble with Malaysia, an election-era critique.
- Aminuddin Mahmud's Branding -Mamak Style, business tips from popular eateries.
- Burhan Baki's Yes We Must Move On: Theoretical Notes on Various Things Malaysian, a post-structuralist reading of local icons and conduct.
- Saharil Hasrin Sanin's Teroris Bahasa (in Malay) about the evolution and political neglect of language.
- Amir Muhammad's Unwelcome Words, a mini-dictionary of words not found in the official lexicon.
- Sonia Randhawa's A Manifesto for Independence: Fifty Years to Merdeka?, a prescription for the future that is inspired by anarchism.
The cover features a detail from a painting by Ahmad Fuad Osman.
A book trailer was posted on Youtube in conjunction with the launch, with the sound of firecrackers inspired by the launch-date's proximity to Chinese New Year.
It was listed as one of the 10 bestsellers for local English non-fiction for 2008 in Malaysia.
Read more about this topic: New Malaysian Essays
Other articles related to "vol 1, vol":
... Vol 1 (ISBN 9789834359607) was published was launched on 16 September 2007 in Kuala Lumpur, in conjunction with the 44th anniversary of the formation of Malaysia ... We are sure there is more to come, which is why this is only Vol ... 1." It was the 9th best-selling local English book of 2007, according to the Popular bookstore chain ...