The parish church of St Michael was thought to have been Norman but was razed in the early 19th century. The more or less Early English Period 1865 structure that currently stands with significant 1886 additions was constructed on the site of the 1814 one. It was designed by C. E. Giles, of London, and the builder was Mr. S. G. Mitchell. It is a Grade II listed building.
The churchyard contains the grave of Harry Patch, the last surviving British soldier who served in the First World War.
Read more about this topic: Monkton Combe
Other articles related to "religious sites":
... The Roman Catholic church, St Thomas of Canterbury, which was erected in 1841 ... Before the Catholic church was built, the parish was served from the pele tower which stands adjacent to the present church ...
Famous quotes containing the word religious:
“The best conversation is rare. Society seems to have agreed to treat fictions as realities, and realities as fictions; and the simple lover of truth, especially if on very high grounds, as a religious or intellectual seeker, finds himself a stranger and alien.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)