Methylphenidate - Available Forms - Extended-release

Extended-release

Extended-release tablets or capsules include:

  • Concerta (brand-name); Watson methylphenidate ER (US generic); Teva-Methylphenidate ER‑C (Canadian generic). Each pill is effective for 12 hours.
  • Equasym XL; Medikinet XL; Metadate CD; Ritalin LA; Rubifen SR. Some of these work identically to each other; some do not.
  • Ritalin‑SR (brand-name); Methylin ER (US generic); Metadate ER (US generic); methylphenidate SR (Canadian generic). Each pill is effective for 5–8 hours.

A newer way of taking methylphenidate is by using a transdermal patch (under the brand name Daytrana), similar to those used for nicotine replacement therapy.

Concerta tablets are marked with the letters "ALZA" and followed by: "18", "27", "36", or "54", relating to the mg dosage strength. Approximately 22% of the dose is immediate release, and the remaining 78% of the dose is evenly released over 10–12 hours post ingestion.

Ritalin LA capsules are marked with the letters "NVR" (abbrev.: Novartis) and followed by: "R20", "R30", or "R40", depending on the (mg) dosage strength. Both Ritalin LA and Equasym XL provide two standard doses – half the total dose being released immediately and the other half released four hours later. In total, each capsule is effective for about eight hours.

Metadate CD capsules contain two types of beads; 30% of the beads are immediate release, and the other 70% of the beads are evenly sustained release.

Read more about this topic:  Methylphenidate, Available Forms