Notable Faculty, Administrators, and Staff
Retired and former faculty and staff
- Steve Alford, former men's basketball coach
- Sam Barry, former Iowa basketball coach (1922–1929), and Iowa baseball coach (1923–24) is only coach to have coached teams both to the Final Four and to the College World Series.
- Samuel Calvin (1840–1911), pioneering geologist.
- Frank Conroy, author, former head of Iowa Writers' Workshop
- Philip Greeley Clapp, director of school of music 1919-53
- Antonio Damasio, neurologist, former M.W. Van Allen Professor and Head of Neurology 1989-2004, Director of USC Institute for the Neurological Study of Emotion and Creativity
- Robert Dick, former visiting professor of flute 2002-03
- Hualing Nieh Engle, novelist, co-founder and former director of the International Writing Program.
- Paul Engle, poet and director of the Iowa Writers' Workshop for 24 years. Engle also founded the International Writing Program.
- Hayden Fry, football coach inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame
- Jorie Graham, alumna, Pulitzer Prize winning poet and MacArthur Fellow on the faculty of the Iowa Writers' Workshop
- Robert Hass, Pulitzer Prize winning poet and former Poet Laureate of the United States.
- Robert V. Hogg, 1950 Ph.D. in mathematics and professor of Statistics from 1951-2001, former President of the American Statistical Association.
- Walter Albert Jessup, president 1916-34
- Josephine Johnson, Pulitzer Prize winning novelist, writing instructor
- Wendell Johnson, (1904–1965) former head of the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology; Pioneer in the field. See http://nicholasjohnson.org/wjohnson/
- Mauricio Lasansky, renowned printmaker, creator of The Nazi Drawings
- Everett Franklin Lindquist, developer of the ITBS and ACT exams.
- Lester Longman, chairman of the art department 1936-58
- Edward C. Mabie, director of theatre arts 1925-56
- George Willard Martin, noted mycologist. Head of the Department of Botony from 1953 to 1955.
- Harold McCarty, First chair of Dept. of Geography, pioneered regression analysis within economic geography
- Lute Olson, head basketball coach 1974-1983
- Ignacio Ponseti, physician internationally known for non-surgical treatment of clubfoot
- J. Roger Porter, chair Dept. of Microbiology 1949-1977, internationally known microbiologist
- Philip Roth, 1960 National Book Award winning author of Goodbye, Columbus, taught creative writing
- Wiley B. Rutledge, United States Supreme Court Justice; Dean of College of Law, 1935–1939
- Palagummi Sainath, visiting instructor in International Programs. An award winning Indian development journalist described as one of the world's greatest experts on famine and hunger.
- Carl Seashore, dean of the graduate college 1908-37
- George Seifert, former assistant football coach 1966, and former head coach of NFL San Francisco 49ers
- Phil Stong, Writing Instructor, author of the novel State Fair and others
- Bohumil Shimek, naturalist and conservationist whom the Shimek State Forest is named after
- C. Vivian Stringer, former women's basketball coach who is only coach in NCAA history to take three different teams to final four.
- Phebe Sudlow, first female professor at the University of Iowa
- Basil Thompson, former ballet master of the Joffrey Ballet and artistic director of the Milwaukee Ballet.
- James Van Allen, physicist and discoverer of two radiation belts (the Van Allen Belts) that surround the earth, Emeritus Carver Professor of Physics
- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., American novelist and satirist, Iowa Writers' Workshop faculty 1965-66
- Himie Voxman, alumnus, director of the School of Music from 1954–80
- Grant Wood, American painter who painted American Gothic, instructor and director of WPA art projects
Current notable faculty and staff
- Nancy C. Andreasen, alumna and psychiatrist, 2000 National Medal of Science Recipient, Andrew H. Woods Chair of Psychiatry, Director of the Psychiatric Iowa Neuroimaging Consortium
- Timothy Barrett, papermaker and paper-making researcher. 2009 MacArthur Fellow.
- Stephen Berry, 1993 Pulitzer Prize in investigative reporting for a story he co-authored while at the Orlando Sentinel, associate professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- John M. Buatti, radiation oncologist, Professor and Head of Radiation Oncology
- Kevin Campbell, muscular dystrophy scientist, Investigator for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and Professor and Head of Department of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
- Keith Carter, ophthalmologist, Head of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Chunghi Choo (born 1938), jewelry designer and metalsmith
- George De La Pena, actor, Associate Professor of Dance
- Kirk Ferentz, Iowa's Head football coach
- Bruce Jay Gantz, Head of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Brian F McCabe Distinguished Chair in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Matthew A. Howard, Head of Neurosurgery, Director of Human Brain Research Laboratory (HBRL)
- Nicholas Johnson, former FCC commissioner 1966-1973, U.S. Maritime Administrator. Professor, Department of Communication Studies and founding member of the Iowa Progressive Caucus.
- Douglas W. Jones, electronic voting reform expert and cofounder of the Open Voting Consortium, Professor of Computer Science
- Erik Lie, Associate Professor of Finance, Henry B. Tippie Research Fellow. Discovered the stock options backdating scandal
- Kembrew McLeod, media activist and prankster
- James Alan McPherson, Pulitzer Prize winning author and MacArthur Fellow, faculty in the Iowa Writers' Workshop
- David W. Murhammer, Professor of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
- Joseph M. Reinhardt, Professor and Chair of Biomedical Engineering
- Marilynne Robinson, 2005 Pulitzer Prize winning author for Gilead: A Novel, faculty in the Iowa Writers' Workshop
- Michael M. Todd, Head of Anesthesiology, Editor-in-chief of the journal Anesthesiology
- Ingo Titze, University of Iowa Foundation Distinguished Professor, Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology and the School of Music; Executive Director of the National Center for Voice and Speech, centered at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts; father of vocology, a specialty within speech-language pathology; creator of Pavorobotti, a singing (voice simulation) robot featured on National Public Radio
- Christine Whelan, visiting assistant professor of Sociology, author of Why Smart Men Marry Smart Women
Read more about this topic: List Of University Of Iowa People
Other articles related to "staff, notable":
... While many of the alumni, coaches, faculty, and staff listed below have not gained notable recognition abroad, all of these individuals are well-known ...
Famous quotes containing the words staff and/or notable:
“For the first fourteen years for a rod they do whine,
For the next as a pearl in the world they do shine,
For the next trim beauty beginneth to swerve,
For the next matrons or drudges they serve,
For the next doth crave a staff for a stay,
For the next a bier to fetch them away.”
—Thomas Tusser (c. 15201580)
“a notable prince that was called King John;
And he ruled England with main and with might,
For he did great wrong, and maintained little right.”
—Unknown. King John and the Abbot of Canterbury (l. 24)