- quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation. A semi-public (supposedly non-governmental) advisory or administrative body funded by the taxpayer, often having most of its members appointed by the government, and carrying out government policy.
- a musical note with the duration of one half-count in a time signature of 4/4 (US: eighth note). Also compound nouns semiquaver (US: sixteenth note), demisemiquaver (US: thirty-second note), hemidemisemiquaver (US: sixty-fourth note); see note value).
- (informal) the pound sterling monetary unit; remains quid in plural form ("Can I borrow ten quid?") (similar to US buck, meaning dollar)
- quids in
- (informal) a financially positive end to a transaction or venture "After all that, we'll be quids in!" (US: money ahead)
- used in the phrase "quieten down" (US: quiet down)
- forelock (initially Hiberno-English); a hairstyle (from the 1950s onward).
- (vulgar slang) female genitalia, the vagina
Read more about this topic: List Of British Words Not Widely Used In The United States
Main Site Subjects