The Phantomhive Estate belongs to the English noble family Phantomhive and is located outside the city of London. The Phantomhive family is a secret executive agency controlled directly by the Queen and is often referred to as the "Evil Noblemen" and the "Queen's Watchdogs". They are tasked with eliminating anything that worries the Queen by any means necessary. They are able to control and manage the underworld of the United Kingdom to avoid any information of its existence from reaching the general public. The current head of the family is Ciel Phantomhive, son of Earl Vincent and Lady Rachel Phantomhive who were murdered and their original estate burned (the manor in which Ciel currently resides with his servants is an exact replica of the original manor). In addition to the services they provide for the Queen, the Phantomhive family runs a toy and confectionery company called Funtom Company.
The estate currently has five servants, but their positions as servants are a front for their real jobs of protecting the Phantomhive Estate as well as protecting Ciel, to whom they are deeply devoted. Baldroy serves as the household cook. Finnian is the gardener and Mey-Rin is the maid. The three were personally chosen and trained by Sebastian for their duties. Tanaka has served under Earl Vincent and Lady Rachel as their butler, but has not been seen doing any work during his service under Ciel, in which his job is the house steward. Sebastian Michaelis, a demon, acts as the butler after Tanaka. Snake is the newest addition in the manga, and acts as footman. Lady Rachel and Earl Phantomhive each have one sister; both married and became a part of other noble families before the start of the series. Madame Red, born as Angelina Durless, married into the Barnett family. She commits the murders investigated in the Jack the Ripper case and is killed by her accomplice after her exposure. Marchioness Frances married Marquis Middleford (Midford), and their daughter, Elizabeth, is engaged to Ciel.
- Bardroy (バルドロイ, Barudoroi?)
- Baldroy, usually referred to as Bard or Baldo, is the household cook of American descent. He rarely produces anything edible as he uses weaponry such as flamethrowers to cook, believing that cooking is an art requiring explosions. Sebastian believes anything he creates is made up of charcoal and carcinogens. Bardroy pursues cooking to learn how to slow down, as he states cooking takes patience to master. He used to be an English soldier whose entire platoon was wiped out, leaving him as the only survivor. While terrible at cooking, he is shown to be capable of taking advantage of his surroundings, such as using fine flour to create an explosion. At the conclusion of the first season of the anime, it was unknown whether he survived, although it was noted he was breathing before he collapsed. In the second season, he is revealed to have survived. Like Finnian and Mey-Rin, he provides much of the comic relief. He is voiced by Hiroki Touchi in the anime adaption and Rikiya Koyama on the drama CD, and Ian Sinclair in the English dub. In the Manga it is Baldroy (Baldo) and in the Anime it is Bardroy (Bard).
- Finnian (フィニアン, Finian?)
- Finnian, often called Finny, is a gardener. However, it seems every time he tends to the garden, it is destroyed through an accident caused by his clumsiness. He is portrayed as an innocent, Shota-like character who loves his work, but is dubbed an idiot by Sebastian. Finnian displays feats of superhuman strength, such as dragging and throwing Pluto around, which he tries to suppress for fear of hurting others and risk of sabotaging his work. The sequence, S-012, is tattooed on the nape of his neck and is usually covered by his straw hat. He works as a gardener to spend as much time as possible outside because he was not able to do so before. Furthermore, he explains that he loves working for Ciel because he does not give him injections, put him up against his friends in a death match, or lock him in a cage. He was experimented on to increase physical strength before the events of the story until he was rescued by Sebastian; Sebastian offered Finnian a good salary for his services, but Finnian only wanted to go outside. In the anime, he develops an infatuation for Angela because of her kindness and beauty until he sees her true dominatrix personality. At the conclusion of the first season of the anime, it was unknown whether he survived, although it was noted he was breathing before he collapsed. In the second season, he is revealed to have survived. Like Bardroy and Mey-Rin, he provides much of the comic relief. He is voiced by Yūki Kaji in the anime adaption and Motoki Takagi on the drama CD, and Jason Liebrecht in the English dub.
- Mey-Rin (メイリン, Meirin?) (spelled Meylene in the manga)
- Mey-Rin is a clumsy maid whose glasses do nothing to improve her clumsiness. However, she refuses to purchase a new pair as they are the first thing Ciel bought for her. Sebastian believes her main problem is her intelligence and not her poor eyesight. She has a crush on Sebastian as she blushes whenever she is in his presence and is even clumsier when Sebastian is watching. In the anime, she fantasizes about being close to him. She is rather superstitious but admits to having a soft spot for scary stories. Mey-Rin used to be a sniper who did not use a scope, due to her sharp far-sighted vision. The glasses she wears help limit her vision so she doesn't get distracted from her work. She is also physically fit as she can use a sniper rifle like a hand gun and keeps hundreds loaded at once to decrease reload time. At the conclusion of the first season of the anime, it was unknown whether she survived, although it was noted she was breathing before she collapsed. In the second season, she is revealed to have survived. Like Bardroy and Finnian she provides much of the comic relief. She is voiced by Emiri Katou in the anime adaption and Fumiko Orikasa on the drama CD, and Monica Rial in the English dub.
- Tanaka (タナカ?)
- Tanaka is the house steward who has served under the former Phantomhive Head. He was present when Ciel's parents were killed and was stabbed in the back trying to protect Ciel. As a result, he rarely talks or does any work. Sebastian seems to respect him the most out of all the staff. He is usually seen drinking from a Japanese tea cup. Despite his appearance, Tanaka is capable of killing intruders effortlessly. Prior to Sebastian's appointment as Ciel's butler, Tanaka served as the head butler of the Phantomhive household, for both Ciel's father and Ciel. In the manga, when Sebastian is apparently murdered, Ciel appoints Tanaka as the head butler again, a position he fulfills nearly as well as Sebastian. In the anime, he is commonly in a super deformed form. When he is not, he is as capable a servant as Sebastian. As the series progresses, he is seen less often in a super deformed form. He is voiced by Shunji Fujimura in the anime adaption and Mugihito on the drama CD and R Bruce Elliott in the English dub.
- Snake (スネーク, Sunēku?)
- As a snake handler, Snake was the latest First Tier member to the Noah's Arc Circus. He is always seen with at least one snake draped around his shoulders and has distinct snake skin patterns covering various patches all over his body. His sentences always end with "said Oscar" (or a name of one of his many snakes) indicating he is uncomfortable when communicating with others unless through his pets. Snake was taken in as a 'brother' after the First Tiered members freed him from a traveling freak show. He had vowed to avenge his dead siblings after Ciel and Sebastian had disposed of them all, leaving him alone again. Snake tracked down the Phantomhive Mansion using the clothes Smile left behind and a little unexpected help from Prince Soma. After the murder cases within the mansion were solved, Snake was revealed as the 13th guest caught by Sebastian while hiding on the mansion grounds in an attempt to take Ciel's life. Instead of killing him, Ciel welcomed him as an addition to his servants, making him the footman of the Phantomhive Mansion. He accompanied Ciel on the Campania and still refers to Ciel and Sebastian as Smile and Black, respectively.
- Pluto (プルートゥ, Purūtu?)
- Appearing in the anime adaption, Pluto, also known as the Demon Hound, is a large dog that terrorizes the town of Houndsworth until Sebastian tames him and brings him to the Phantomhive Estate. He can breathe fire, walk through barriers and shape-shift into a human. As a human, he still retains dog-like behaviour. Although Sebastian hates dogs, Pluto has taken a liking to him and only listens to Sebastian's orders. He has ties to the organization that killed Ciel's parents, as he is seen resting by the feet of a member licking his hand and has been with Angela prior to living at the Phantomhive Estate. When Ash uses him to set fire to the Estate and burn London, Ciel orders his staff to kill Pluto. He is voiced by Takafumi Yamaguchi in the anime adaption and Z. Charles Bolton in the English dub of the anime.
Other articles related to "phantomhive household, phantomhive":
... Vincent Phantomhive (ヴィンセント・ファントムハイヴ, Vinsento Fantomuhaivu?) The late Earl Phantomhive is Ciel's father ... Rachel Phantomhive (レイチェル・ファントムハイヴ, Reicheru Fantomuhaivu?) Ciel's late mother, born Rachel Durless ...
Famous quotes containing the word household:
“Men will not give up their privilege of helplessness without a struggle. The average man has a carefully cultivated ignorance about household mattersfrom what to do with the crumbs to the grocers telephone numbera sort of cheerful inefficiency which protects him better than the reputation for having a violent temper.”
—Crystal Eastman (18811928)