The commune houses many villas along the Seine river as well as many estates and points of interest. In the centre of the village the Maison Raulin (former estate of Gustave Raulin - Architect for the City of Paris) stands out as a particularly tall structure. Near by the oldest building of the commune, l'Eglise Notre-Dame de la Visitation (dating back to the 13th century), can be found.
Across the church is the estate of Le Rocheton. Since its inception, Le Rocheton has served a number of different purposes. Through the 19th century the estate belonged to the Rochefoucauld family until being purchased in 1816 by Saint-Joseph de Lyon nuns. Their prime mission was to offer education and health care to children. In 1946 the estate was acquired by the YMCA. Because of its close proximity to Paris, the American army and the YMCA had used Le Rocheton as a halfway house during World War II. American soldiers who had been taken captive by the German army would stay at Le Rocheton prior to returning home to America. In the 1950's, the centre began to accommodate asylum seekers from all over the world. To this day it is still owned by the YMCA. Its primary purpose is to serve as a hotel for tourists, families, and groups. Educational and professional training programs are also offered.
Read more about this topic: La Rochette, Seine-et-Marne
Other articles related to "notable sites, sites, site":
... More than 20,000 sites have been identified, in some places more than 100 sites per square mile ... The Painted Hand Pueblo is a backcountry site that consists of not excavated ruins built upon boulders along a cliff-face and a standing tower ... A spring runs through the center of the walled site that held up to 725 people ...
... This two-way thoroughfare passes a number of historic sites including the Hall of Fame for Great Americans and 1520 Sedgwick Avenue ...
Famous quotes containing the word notable:
“a notable prince that was called King John;
And he ruled England with main and with might,
For he did great wrong, and maintained little right.”
—Unknown. King John and the Abbot of Canterbury (l. 24)