- Takashi Mitsuhashi (三橋貴志, Mitsuhashi Takashi?)
- Main protagonist, 181 cm tall. At the beginning of the story, he was around 15-16 years old. He gave up his ordinary school life and decided to "become a delinquent from today on" (thus the title of this manga), after moving to his new home in Chiba. Being a very athletic person, he used his talent for the sole purpose of brawling and actually becomes a real delinquent. To make his appearance more noticeable, he dyed his hair blond. Being the most self-centered person in this manga, his own safety comes before anyone else's, he often sacrifices his "friends" for his cause. He is greedy and cunning. Although, beneath his devilish personality lies a softer side, which shows from time to time, especially when he is angry. His fighting style is based around his speed, as he often dodges most attacks, becoming surprised whenever he is forced to block due to being faster than most of the people he encounters. His love interest is Riko-chan.
- Shinji Itō (伊藤真司, Itou Shinji?)
- Main protagonist, 180 cm tall (205 cm including his hair). A complete reversal of Mitsuhashi, Itou's the kind of righteous person fighting for justice. Just like Mitsuhashi, Itou got transferred to Nan high's first year. Like his personality, his fighting style is also the opposite of Mitsuhashi's; he's incredibly tough and often stands up from any beating, even in the most bleak of situations. While he may be as strong as Mitsuhashi, Itou is beat up much more often than Mitsuhashi due to often sacrificing himself to protect others as well as fighting fair in unfair situations or against numerable opponents. Due to his help, he wins the affection of Kyouko-chan, an ex-delinquent girl, at the start of the series.
- Riko Akasaka (赤坂理子, Akasaka Riko?)
- Main heroine, the only daughter of the Akasaka style dojo. Originally she visited another senior high school than Mitsuhashi and Itou, but ultimately decided to transfer to Nan high instead to repay Mitsuhashi's favor. Behind her pretty looks lies someone pretty skilled in Aikido; she can handle most delinquents on her own despite her small body size. While she used to be very popular at her old school, in Nan high she is initially considered "weird" because of her constantly hanging out with Mitsuhashi. As the manga goes on, she spends more and more time with Mitsuhashi, and he sometimes intrudes in her home/dojo, often irritating her father, who also seems to get used to Mitsuhashi. She is romantically interested in Mitsuhashi and is one of the people close to him who know his softer side. She is the only person who refers to Mitsuhashi as "San-chan" because 三 (mitsu) is also read as the number three (san).
- Ryō Tanaka (田中良, Tanaka Ryou?)
- Student of the Akasaka style dojo, and in love with Riko. 160cm tall. His sense of justice is as strong as Itou's, and he is a modest person who is willing to help people in need out whenever he can. Despite his initially weak body, he never backed down to any delinquent's threat. He was transferred to Nan high together with Riko, which is why everyone calls him "Ryou-kun" like Riko does. Surprisingly, he can hold his own against Mitsuhashi.
- Shūichi Takasaki (高崎秀一, Takasaki Shuuichi?)
- A handsome transfer student from Saitama, around 180 cm tall (he has short legs though). He originally transferred to Nan high to avoid trouble at his home place of Saitama during the Kitagawa incident, and was quickly at enmity with Mitsuhashi because of his righteous nature, even more so than Itou. When he first appeared, he seems to have an equal charm towards girls as Itou, which only grew when he defeated the duo in a match of Judo. At the end of the Kitagawa incident, he got to know Mitsuhashi's true nature and became friend with them, aiding them multiple times in battle in order to repay their favor. A running gag in the manga, is whenever Itou is doing something emotional with Kyouko, he appears and witness a embarrassing scene.
- Naoya Sagawa (佐川直也, Sagawa Naoya?)
- A slacky delinquent from Nan high, who quickly became Mitsuhashi's and Itou's lackey and informant due to his nature "always succumbing to the circumstances". Even though he is no strong fighter, people respect him for the sole sake of him being able to call for Itou and Mitsuhashi's help at any given time.
- Keiichi Izawa (伊沢圭一, Izawa Keiichi?)
- A delinquent and good friend with Sagawa, also being considered a lackey of Mitsuhashi and Itou.
- Megumi (メグミ, Megumi?)
- Riko's girl friend at Nan high, with lots of screentime, but very few times they refer to her with her name.
- Yūichi Sakakigawa (榊原雄一, Sakakigawa Yuuichi?)
- A junior with passable strength, at least 2 years younger than Mitsuhashi. Mitsuhashi gave him the nickname of "pisshead" because he once peed on them while they were trapped in a well. When introduced, he is an overconfident middle school student and tries to defeat Mitsuhashi. However, he soon gains immense respect for Mitsuhashi after witnessing his strength and looks up to him. Mitsuhashi regards him as a bud despite his young age.
Famous quotes containing the word high:
“Ive always got such high expectations for myself. Im aware of them, but I cant relax them.”
—Mary Decker Slaney (b. 1958)
Main Site Subjects