- Lindsey Durlacher, US, world bronze (Greco-Roman)
- Grigorii Gamarnik, USSR, world champion (Greco-Roman lightweight), world championship silver
- Samuel Gerson, Ukrainian-born US, Olympic silver (freestyle featherweight)
- Boris Maksovich Gurevich, Soviet, Olympic champion (Greco-Roman flyweight), 2x world champion
- Boris Michail Gurevitsch, USSR, Olympic champion (freestyle middleweight), 2x world champion
- Nickolaus "Mickey" Hirschl, Austria, 2x Olympic bronze (heavyweight freestyle and Greco-Roman)
- Oleg Karavaev, USSR, Olympic champion (Greco-Roman bantamweight), 2x world champion
- Károly Kárpáti (also "Károly Kellner"), Hungary, Olympic champion (freestyle lightweight), silver
- Abraham Kurland, Denmark, Olympic silver (Greco-Roman lightweight)
- Fred Meyer, US, Olympic bronze (freestyle heavyweight)
- Fred Oberlander, Austrian, British, and Canadian wrestler; world champion (freestyle heavyweight); Maccabiah champion
- Yakov Punkin, Soviet, Olympic champion (Greco-Roman featherweight)
- Samuel Rabin, Great Britain, Olympic bronze (freestyle middleweight)
- David Rudman, USSR, USSR 6x wrestling champion and 6x sambo champion, sambo world champion, 2x European judo champion
- Richárd Weisz, Hungary, Olympic champion (Greco-Roman super heavyweight)
- Henry Wittenberg, US, Olympic champion (freestyle light-heavyweight), silver
Other articles related to "wrestling":
... sport that incorporates striking (both standing and on the ground) and wrestling/grappling techniques ... by FILA (International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles, the only international sports federation recognized by SportAccord and International Olympic ...
... Professional wrestling utilizes a farm system that allows wrestlers to learn the craft and gain experience in smaller, often regional, promotions before they are "called ... leagues or developmental territories, some of the more notable ones for WWE include Heartland Wrestling Association (late 1990s) - which was also a developmental territory for World ... In addition, smaller companies such as Ring of Honor, Combat Zone Wrestling, Chikara or the now-defunct Extreme Championship Wrestling can act as unofficial feeder leagues, seasoning wrestlers until a larger ...
... Successful fighters in modern MMA who began their training in various forms of wrestling, include Jon Jones, Frank Edgar, Cain Velasquez, former Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier and Brock Lesnar, a former UFC ...
... Men's 55 kg O Song-Nam Pool 7 Lost to Amiran Karntanov of Greece (3 - 4) Defeated Martin Berberyan of Armenia (5 - 2 615) Defeated Harun Dogan of Turkey (injury default) 2nd in pool, did not advance (8 TP, 8 CP, 8th overall). ...
... Wrestling at the 2004 Summer Olympics took place in the Ano Liossia Olympic Hall and was split into two disciplines, Freestyle and Greco-Roman which are ... This was the first Olympic Games that included women's wrestling events on the program ...
Famous quotes containing the word wrestling:
“We laugh at him who steps out of his room at the very moment when the sun steps out, and says: I will the sun to rise; and at him who cannot stop the wheel, and says: I will it to roll; and at him who is taken down in a wrestling match, and says: I lie here, but I will that I lie here! And yet, all laughter aside, do we ever do anything other than one of these three things when we use the expression, I will?”
—Friedrich Nietzsche (18441900)
“There are people who think that wrestling is an ignoble sport. Wrestling is not sport, it is a spectacle, and it is no more ignoble to attend a wrestled performance of suffering than a performance of the sorrows of Arnolphe or Andromaque.”
—Roland Barthes (19151980)