- All through the Hof van Twente ("Garden of Twente") it is possible to wander around on foot or bicycle. The municipality has many small woods, old water mills, beautiful country houses and small castles with their parks and small lanes winding themselves through the countryside. Therefore, many tourists visit this rural area. They stay in small hotels, holiday resorts, on camping sites and even at farms.
- The Twickel castle near Delden can only be observed from the outside, but the major part of its parks and woods ( 60 square km) are freely accessible.
- Castle Warmelo near Diepenheim, that was built in 1315, and was afterwards devastated and rebuilt several times, is in private use as well. Princess Armgard, the mother of Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld, who was Queen Juliana's husband, lived there until her death in 1971. Its famous gardens are open to the public every summer.
- Castle Weldam, between Markelo and Goor, is inhabited by the German noble family of Zu Solms-Sonnenwalde. The beautiful gardens of this castle can be visited. Castle's forest is free accessible as well.
- In Delden you can visit the Gothic Saint Blasius Church (built in the 15th century).
- Delden has the Dutch Salt Museum (Zoutmuseum), about salt, its history, use and mining.
Read more about this topic: Hof Van Twente
Other articles related to "sights, sight":
... The Five-seven has a sight radius of 178 mm (7 in) the pistol is currently offered with either adjustable sights or fixed sights ... The "three-dot" type adjustable sights consist of a 2.9-mm (0.12 in) square notch rear and a 3.6-mm (0.14 in) blade front, which has a height of 9.2 mm (0.36 in) ... The sights are targeted at 91.4 m (100 yd), but can be adjusted for either windage or elevation ...
... a selection of PM II series telescopic sights made by Schmidt Bender with laser filters for the military scopes, aluminium one piece telescopic ...
... Santa Catarina offers a number of sights and events throughout the year rural tourism, thermal mineral resorts, ecological tourism and adventure sports, historic monuments and sights ... Some of these sights can only be seen in the off-season, like the snow on the Catarinense Mountain Range - the only place in Brazil where it snows every year ...
Famous quotes containing the word sights:
“O Lord, methought what pain it was to drown,
What dreadful noise of waters in my ears!
What sights of ugly death within my eyes!”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“Television hangs on the questionable theory that whatever happens anywhere should be sensed everywhere. If everyone is going to be able to see everything, in the long run all sights may lose whatever rarity value they once possessed, and it may well turn out that people, being able to see and hear practically everything, will be specially interested in almost nothing.”
—E.B. (Elwyn Brooks)
“We cant always have the beautiful aspect of things. Let us make the most of our sights that are beautiful and let the others go”
—Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] (18351910)