The Grosvenor Estate
Grosvenor’s history began with the marriage of Mary Davies and Sir Thomas Grosvenor in 1677. Mary had inherited the manor of Ebury, 500 acres of land north of the Thames to the west of the City of London, which remained largely untouched by the Grosvenors until the 1720s, when they developed the northern part - now known as Mayfair – around Grosvenor Square. A few generations later, in the 1820s, their focus moved south - to what is now Belgravia - developing Eaton Square, Chester Square and other famous addresses. Later in the 19th century, the area of Pimlico was developed; this was sold in 1953.
Read more about this topic: Grosvenor Group
Other articles related to "the grosvenor estate, estate, the grosvenor, grosvenor":
... Many of the streets within the estate are named after the Grosvenor family and its connections ... The Grosvenor family became established in England before the 15th century, on the manor of Eaton in Cheshire, where is still located its principal seat Eaton Hall ... In 1874 Hugh Grosvenor was created Duke of Westminster other titles held by the Duke are Marquess of Westminster, Earl Grosvenor, Viscount Belgrave and Baron Grosvenor ...
Famous quotes containing the word estate:
“Our vices always lie in the direction of our virtues, and in their best estate are but plausible imitations of the latter.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)