The station has two platforms:
- Platform 1 - For southbound services to Shrewsbury, Cardiff Central or Birmingham New Street
- Platform 2 - For northbound services to Wrexham General, Chester or Holyhead
The station buildings at Gobowen are Grade II listed. They were built in 1846 by the Shrewsbury and Chester railway in a notable Florentine (or Italianate) style with white stucco facing and a small turret. The awnings and the footbridge were added later by the Great Western Railway (the footbridge was demolished in 1987). Although a very small village, Gobowen was the junction station for the much larger regional town of Oswestry some three miles away. When rail services to Oswestry ceased in November 1966, Gobowen was retained as the railhead for the surrounding area. There is a scheme in progress to open this branch as a heritage railway. Until 1967 Gobowen was served by the GWR, latterly BR Western Region, express services between London Paddington and Birkenhead Woodside.
Today, the main building which was renovated in 2005 is used as small business space. The booking office is now located in the waiting room on the southbound platform. Unusually, it is not operated directly by the train operating company but by an independent travel agent, Severn-Dee Travel.
Gobowen station, circa 1910
Locomotive at Gobowen station, circa 1956
Read more about this topic: Gobowen Railway Station
Other articles related to "buildings, building":
... Most buildings in the commercial district, as well as many homes, feature stylistic interpretations of the timber-framed buildings found in the Franconia region of ... This style is marked by the use of timbers in "square" and "X" patterns on the outside of buildings, as well as the use of "X" patterns on windows, doors, and other building features ... The concept of building with this unique Bavarian architecture came from an architect, Ed Beech, who was working for William "Tiny" Zehnder on a remodeling job of the Fischer Hotel ...
... Highbury Corner had an impressive station and hotel that was damaged in this attack but its main building remained in use until demolished in the 1960s ... The original westbound platform buildings remain on the opposite side of Holloway Road, as does a small part of the original entrance to the left of the ... A red plaque mounted on a building wall overlooking the roundabout, commemorates this event ...
... possibly on the site of earlier wooden monastic buildings of which no traces remain ... Construction of buildings in local sandstone began around 1175, and continued through the time of the first three abbots, Adam (1186-c.1216), Adam II (c.12 ... a processional ambulatory, and domestic buildings including a chapter house were added ...
... The buildings of the campus were designed by internationally renowned Modernist architect Paul Rudolph beginning in the early 1960s, to distinguish the campus from the outside world ... The building architecture is similar to that of the Boston Government Service Center ... Rudolph made both the exterior and interior of each building of rough concrete (béton brut), an essential element of the style known as Brutalism, and he endowed buildings with ...
Famous quotes containing the word buildings:
“The American who has been confined, in his own country, to the sight of buildings designed after foreign models, is surprised on entering York Minster or St. Peters at Rome, by the feeling that these structures are imitations also,faint copies of an invisible archetype.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Now, since our condition accommodates things to itself, and transforms them according to itself, we no longer know things in their reality; for nothing comes to us that is not altered and falsified by our Senses. When the compass, the square, and the rule are untrue, all the calculations drawn from them, all the buildings erected by their measure, are of necessity also defective and out of plumb. The uncertainty of our senses renders uncertain everything that they produce.”
—Michel de Montaigne (15331592)
“The desert is a natural extension of the inner silence of the body. If humanitys language, technology, and buildings are an extension of its constructive faculties, the desert alone is an extension of its capacity for absence, the ideal schema of humanitys disappearance.”
—Jean Baudrillard (b. 1929)