Frieze Art Fair 2004
- Space hire was £190 per meter.
- The fair's income from galleries was £1.5 million from 8,000 square meters (4,000 rentable).
- Sales were £26 million.
- There were 150 galleries.
- There were 42,000 visitors.
- Public admission price was £12.
- There were over 1,000 gallery applications for places.
- Booths were 24–120 square meters.
- The fair was sponsored by Deutsche Bank AG.
- US galleries included Gagosian, Zach Feuer Gallery Matthew Marks and Barbara Gladstone.
- British galleries included White Cube, Lisson Gallery and Victoria Miro Gallery.
- European galleries included Hauser & Wirth.
- Galleries came from Beijing, Melbourne, Moscow and Auckland.
Famous quotes containing the words art, fair and/or frieze:
“To fill the hour,that is happiness; to fill the hour, and leave no crevice for a repentance or an approval. We live amid surfaces, and the true art of life is to skate well on them.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)
“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace theres nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility,
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger.
Stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage.”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)
“And the serial continues:
Pain, expiation, delight, more pain,
A frieze that lengthens continually, in the lucky way
Friezes do, and no plot is produced,
Nothing you could hang an identifying question on.”
—John Ashbery (b. 1927)