Colton Hall, located in Monterey, California, was built in the 1840s by Walter Colton, who came to Monterey as a chaplain on Commodore Stockton's vessel and remained to become Monterey's first alcalde (mayor) in the American Period.
Colton Hall was originally a public school and government meeting place. It also hosted California's first constitutional convention in 1849. California’s military governor called for a constitutional convention, to be held in Monterey’s Colton Hall. On September 1, delegates from ten districts arrived in Monterey to debate and write California’s first constitution. The California Constitution was ratified on October 13, voted on in November that year and sent to Congress in January 1850. San Jose was chosen as the seat for the first Legislature. (Officially, a state capital is where the legislature sits; therefore Monterey never was the capital of the State of California.)
The Native Sons of the Golden West were instrumental in 1903 in securing a legislative appropriation for necessary repairs on Colton Hall. The building was then registered as a California Historical Landmark in 1934.
The most important public office building in Monterey County still in continuous use, Colton Hall has over the years housed Monterey's City Hall, a public school, the county court house, the sheriff's office, and Monterey's city police headquarters. Today the main floor still holds some city offices (including the city Planning Division and Building Safety Division), while the second floor is a museum.
The hall is located at 36°35′52″N 121°53′52″W / 36.5977379°N 121.8977318°W / 36.5977379; -121.8977318.
Other articles related to "colton hall":
... of the state constitutional convention are held every year in Colton Hall during History Week ...
Famous quotes containing the words hall and/or colton:
“Sweet death, small son, our instrument
Your cries and hungers document
Our bodily decay.”
—Donald Hall (b. 1928)
“The werewolf is neither man nor wolf, but a satanic creature with the worst qualities of both.”
—John Colton (18861946)