Clachnaharry (Gaelic: Clach na h-Aithrigh) is a former fishing village, now part of the city of Inverness in the Highland council area of Scotland. Clachnaharry is situated on the south shore of the Beauly Firth, about 2 miles (3 km) west of the city centre.
The village was often wrongly said to have derived its name from the Gaelic Clach na Faire, 'watchman's stone' which refers to nearby rocks used as a look out post by the townsfolk of Inverness. The recent book "The Gaelic Place Names and Heritage of Inverness" by Roddy Maclean however has pointed out the name in fact derives from Clach na h-Aithrigh, Stone of Repentance.
The Caledonian Canal begins at Clachnaharry, connecting to the Beauly Firth via a sea lock. The Far North Line also passes through, crossing the canal on a swing bridge. Clachnaharry used to have a railway station. This station opened in 1869 on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway, and was the first stop after leaving Inverness, but closed in 1913.
A monument here commemorates the Battle of Clachnaharry between the Clan Munro and the Clan Chattan in 1454.
Other articles related to "clachnaharry":
... On their return home they were ambushed by the Clan Mackintosh at Clachnaharry, where the Battle of Clachnaharry ensued and many lives were lost on both sides ... According to Fraser's Wardlaw Manuscript after the battle of Clachnaharry, John Munro who was wounded was cared for by the Frasers of Lovat, and that laid the foundation ...
... The Battle of Clachnaharry was a Scottish clan battle that took place in the year 1454 ... on the south bank of the Beauly Firth at Clachnaharry, on the outskirts of Inverness ...