The Butler Baronetcy, of Cloughgrenan in the County of Carlow, was created in the Baronetage of Ireland on 16 August 1628 for Thomas Butler. He notably represented County Carlow in the Irish House of Commons and served as Sheriff of County Carlow. Butler was the illegitimate son of the Hon. Sir Edmund Butler of Cloughgrenan, second son of James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormonde (see the Earl of Ormond). His grandson, the third Baronet, also sat as Member of the Irish Parliament and served as Sheriff of the county. His eldest son, the fourth Baronet, represented County Carlow in the Irish Parliament and was admitted to the Irish Privy Council. He was succeeded by his nephew, the fifth Baronet. He represented County Carlow in the Irish House of Commons for many years. His son, the sixth Baronet, sat as Member of the Irish Parliament for County Carlow and Portarlington. He was succeeded by his eldest son, the seventh Baronet. He represented County Carlow in the Irish Parliament and also briefly (see County Carlow (UK Parliament constituency)) in the British House of Commons from 1801 to 1802. His great-grandson, the tenth Baronet, was High Sheriff and Vice Lord-Lieutenant for County Carlow. His son, the eleventh Baronet, served as High Sheriff of County Carlow in 1905 and was also a Deputy Lieutenant of the county. His son, the twelfth Baronet, was a Colonel in the Grenadier Guards. As of 2010 the title is held by the latter's son, the thirteenth Baronet, who succeeded in 1994.