Burrough Green is a village and parish in Cambridgeshire, England. Described in Kelly's Directory (1929) as a "village and parish 2½ miles south-east from Dullingham station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern Railway and 6 south from Newmarket, in the hundred of Radfield, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."
The Reading Room at Burrough Green was built in 1887 by Mrs Porcher, as a memorial to her husband, Charles Porcher esq.; it is in general use during the winter months, and will hold about 130 persons. The Old Hall (or Manor House), which stands near the church, is now a farmhouse. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area of the parish is 2,272 acres (919 ha); the population in 1921 was 334."
Burrough Green Primary School has been in existence for over 400 years. It provides an education for around 100 children. There is also an after school club and a nursery on site. The school uses the reading room mentioned above for lunch times and also has a small swimming pool.
There is also a cricket club in the village which plays on the village green and competes with other local villages.
Famous quotes containing the word green:
“There was a green branch hung with many a bell
When her own people ruled this tragic Eire;
And from its murmuring greenness, calm of Faery,
A Druid kindness, on all hearers fell.”
—William Butler Yeats (18651939)