- Andrew Henry Jukes, 1937-48, leader of the Union of Electors faction, 1948-49.
- No leader as such of the Social Credit Party/Social Credit League emerged until the 1952 election. However, Eric Martin and Lyle Wicks were the most obvious figures of a collective leadership. At the 1952 party convention Wicks, W.A.C. Bennett and Rev. Hansell were nominated for the party leadership. Wicks and Bennett both withdrew in favour of Hansell who was the hand-picked choice of Alberta Social Credit leader and Premier Ernest Manning. Following the election, Wicks, who was party president, called a second leadership convention at which only Social Credit MLAs could vote. This was won by Bennett.
- Reverend Ernest George Hansell, M.P. for Macleod (Alberta), leader for the 1952 election.
- W. A. C. Bennett (July 15, 1952 - November 24, 1973) *
- William R. Bennett (November 24, 1973 - July 30, 1986) *
- William Vander Zalm (July 30, 1986 - April 1, 1991) *
- Rita Johnston (April 2, 1991 - March 7, 1992) *
- Jack Weisgerber (interim) (March 7, 1992 - November 6, 1993)
- Grace McCarthy (November 6, 1993 - May 1994)
- Lyall Franklin Hanson (interim) (May 1994)
- Cliff Serwa (interim) (May - November 1994)
- Larry Gillanders (November 4, 1994 - May 24, 1996)
- Ken Endean (interim) (May 1996 - March 1997)
- Mike Culos (April 1997 - April 2000)
- Eric Buckley (April 2000 - October 2000)
Eric Buckley left Social Credit in October 2000 to join the British Columbia Party. The position of party leader has been vacant since that time.
Read more about this topic: British Columbia Social Credit Party
Other articles related to "party leaders, party, leader, leaders":
... Liberal Party of Canada - Michael Ignatieff (interim until May 2) Conservative Party of Canada - Stephen Harper Bloc Québécois - Gilles Duceppe New Democratic Party - Jack Layton Green ...
... Shliapnikov became leader of the Workers' Opposition movement inside the Russian Communist Party ... Alexandra Kollontai was a mentor and advocate of the group, which was composed of leaders of trade unions and industry who were all former industrial workers, usually metalworkers ... of workers, organized in trade unions, in managing the economy and the political party ...
... The "Majority party" is the political party that has a majority of seats ... The next-largest party is known as the minority party ... president pro tempore, committee chairs, and some other officials are generally from the majority party ...
... It was not until the Third Party Congress that party Secretary General Kaysone stated that the LPRP should "urgently undertake the major task...of preparing a ... of their internationally recognized human rights." Even the party newspaper, Xieng Pasason (Voice of the People), commenting in June 1990 on the absence of a constitution and a ... Perhaps most important, the party leadership, accustomed to rule without question, may have assigned a low priority to producing a document that might ...
Famous quotes containing the words leaders and/or party:
“For aesthetics is the mother of ethics.... Were we to choose our leaders on the basis of their reading experience and not their political programs, there would be much less grief on earth. I believenot empirically, alas, but only theoreticallythat for someone who has read a lot of Dickens to shoot his like in the name of an idea is harder than for someone who has read no Dickens.”
—Joseph Brodsky (b. 1940)
“In all conversation between two persons, tacit reference is made, as to a third party, to a common nature. That third party or common nature is not social; it is impersonal; is God.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)