The Church of St Michael has 11th or 12th century origins, and has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building. The church is part of the Camelot Group of Parishes in the Diocese of Bath and Wells. The tower was added in the 14th century and there were other changes around that time including the addition of south porch. More recent changes include the 17th century pulpit. There is a screen designed by Frederick Bligh Bond that was added in 1916 and the current organ arrived in 1970. The east window was made by the Charles Eamer Kempe studio and installed in 1882. However the paint flaked and after lengthy discussions and deliberations a replacement was commissioned from John Hayward (who also made the new window in Sherborne Abbey) with the subject 'The Good Shepherd'.
There was a Methodist Chapel (built circa 1840) at the end of Chapel Lane and closed in 1947. It is now art of Old Beams curtilage — but the roof was removed in the 1960s to allow a better view from the dwelling.
Chapel Cottage is the oldest house in the village and is reputed to have been a chapel with cottage attached — however there is some doubt over this. The newer, western cottage dates from the 16th Century while the eastern cottage is medieval has a stone spiral staircase and other old features.
Read more about this topic: Blackford, Somerset
Other articles related to "religious sites":
... The Roman Catholic church, St Thomas of Canterbury, which was erected in 1841 ... Before the Catholic church was built, the parish was served from the pele tower which stands adjacent to the present church ...
Famous quotes containing the word religious:
“The sceptics assert, though absurdly, that the origin of all religious worship was derived from the utility of inanimate objects, as the sun and moon, to the support and well-being of mankind.”
—David Hume (17111776)