The Bishop of Hexham was an episcopal title which took its name after the market town of Hexham in Northumberland, England. The title was first used by the Anglo-Saxons in the 7th and 9th centuries, and then by the Roman Catholic Church in the 19th century.
Other articles related to "bishop of hexham, of hexham, bishop":
... of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Northern District of England became the Diocese of Hexham, and the Vicar Apostolic of the district became the Bishop of Hexham ... The Diocese of Hexham comprised Northumberland, County Durham, Cumberland and Westmorland ... decreed that St Mary's Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne should be the bishop's seat, and the Episcopal see should be renamed the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle ...
... The last Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District was Bishop William Hogarth, who on 30 September 1850 was assigned the title of bishop of Hexham ... of the English hierarchy, among them the diocese of Hexham, a new jurisdiction to replace formally the old Vicariate ... In 1861 the diocese of Hexham was renamed the diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and its head took the title Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle, which has remained until the present day ...
Famous quotes containing the word bishop:
“A psychiatrist is a man who goes to the Folies-Bergère and looks at the audience.”
—Mervyn, Bishop Stockwood (b. 1913)