Bentley Priory

Bentley Priory was a medieval priory or cell of Augustinian Canons in Harrow Weald, then in Middlesex but now in the London Borough of Harrow. There are no remains of the priory, but it probably stood near Priory House, off Clamp Hill.

Roman remains have been found in the grounds of the priory. The name 'Bentley' is thought to derive from 'beonet', a kind of coarse grass.

Other articles related to "bentley priory, priory":

Bentley Priory - The Priory - School Days
... The Priory changed hands yet again and was re-opened as a girls school ... In the Second World War, Bentley Priory was the headquarters of RAF Fighter Command ... The grounds are now Bentley Priory Nature Reserve, a Site of Special Scientific Interest ...
Project Mo DEL - Redevelopment Sites - Bentley Priory
... RAF Bentley Priory was a non-flying Royal Air Force station near Stanmore in the London Borough of Harrow ... The RAF Bentley Priory site includes a Grade II* listed Officers' Mess and Italian Gardens ... Originally built in 1766, Bentley Priory was significantly extended in 1788, by Sir John Soane, for John Hamilton, 1st Marquess of Abercorn ...
RAF Bentley Priory - Royal Air Force History - Purchased By The Air Ministry
... Bentley Priory remained unoccupied while various options were being investigated ... was split into two lots, and on 25 March 1926, the Priory building and 40 acres (comprising the present grounds) were sold to the Air Ministry for a sum thought to be about £25,000 ... bought 90 acres (360,000 m2), including the farm in front of the Priory which formed part of the Green Belt and the present Bentley Priory Open Space ...

Famous quotes containing the words priory and/or bentley:

    Blessing turned to blasphemies,
    Holy deeds to despites.

    Sin is where our Lady sat,
    Heaven turned is to hell,
    Sathan sits where our Lord did sway,
    Walsingham, Oh farewell!
    —Unknown. A Lament for the Priory of Walsingham (l. 39–44)

    He followed in his father’s footsteps, but his gait was somewhat erratic.
    —Nicolas Bentley (1907–1978)