Barnwood, in Gloucestershire, England is on the old Roman road that links the City of Gloucester with Hucclecote, Brockworth and Cirencester.

Barnwood was originally a small village. The Church of England parish church of St Lawrence, about two miles east of the city centre of Gloucester, is known for The Barnwood Guild of Church Bellringers, inaugurated in 1952. However, bell ringing has a long history in the Gloucester area and Barnwood had long been a part of it when its activities were disrupted by World War II.

Samuel and Anne Bubb, who were grandparents of the inventor Sir Charles Wheatstone (1802–75), lived at Barnwood Manor House. Biographical notes of 1887 say that Sir Charles stated that he was born in the house and lived there as a young child, and this was the scene of some of his earliest experiments. In later years Wheatstone often returned to Barnwood. A local public house is named The Wheatstone Inn after him.

The architect Frederick S. Waller (1822–1905), sometime resident architect at Gloucester Cathedral, lived and died at Barnwood.

The Generation Design and Construction Division of the CEGB became the centre of a new office development when it moved here in the early 1970s. This then became the corporate headquarters of Nuclear Electric, and later the English offices of the (nominally Scottish-based) British Energy, which in 2009 became part of EDF Energy. Other major companies in Barnwood include Cheltenham & Gloucester. There is also a Holiday Inn, InterCall, Sainsbury's and Virgin Active in the area.

Read more about Barnwood:  Arboretum

Other articles related to "barnwood":

Barnwood House Hospital - Frederick Needham
... superintendent of York Asylum, became medical superintendent of Barnwood House in 1874 ... The same thoughtfulness and judicious provision which have brought the general management of Barnwood House Asylum to such a high pitch of excellence ... Whilst at Barnwood Needham took part in the regular entertainments and concerts, once playing the part of King Giltgingerbread in The Enchanted Princess wrote a number of papers ...
Barnwood House Hospital - "All The Most Modern Methods of Treatment"
... Institute from 1939 meant that Barnwood House patients were used in early experiments with electroconvulsive therapy and psychosurgery ... of cybernetics, built his "Homeostat" machine in a laboratory at Barnwood House in the 1950s ... Institute opened in Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, Gloucestershire, in 1939 and formed links with Barnwood Hospital ...
Barnwood House Hospital - Origins
... Barnwood House opened its doors to patients on 6 January 1860, but its origins go back to the 18th century ... In 1858 they purchased and adapted Barnwood House in the village of Barnwood to the east of Gloucester (subsequent boundary changes brought the village inside the city boundary) ... Barnwood House Institution was intended for two classes of patients, as explained in 1882 regulations ...
Barnwood - Arboretum
... Barnwood Arboretum is set on the grounds of the Barnwood House Hospital which was closed in 1968 and finally demolished in 2000 ... City Council in conjunction with the Friends of Barnwood Arboretum (FOBA) ... The Arboretum's main entrance is located off Church Lane, Barnwood and provides its visitors with various habitats, for example, grassland and wetland, and is ...
Barnwood House Hospital
... Barnwood House Hospital (1860–1968) was a private mental hospital in Barnwood, Gloucester, England ... It was founded by the Gloucester Asylum Trust in 1860 as Barnwood House Institution and later became known as Barnwood House Hospital ... During the late nineteenth century Barnwood House flourished under superintendent Frederick Needham, making a healthy profit and receiving praise from the ...