Woughton on the Green is a traditional Buckinghamshire village that is now part of Milton Keynes in England. It gives its name to the Civil parish of Woughton, of which it is now a part.
The village was originally just called "Woughton", but by 1750 it was already being referred to as "Wofton on the Green". It has been suggested that the suffix was added to distinguish the village from other nearby places with the same name. On the Green refers to the large grassy area that lay in the centre of the village: the traditional village green.
In the Domesday Book of 1086 Woughton on the Green was recorded as Ulchetone. This is an Anglo-Saxon name, which means Eoca's Farm. The village had gained its more modern name by the mid twelfth century when the manor was recorded as belonging to the Verley family.
By the time of the coronation of Queen Victoria, Woughton on the Green was a large village, due largely to the nearby Grand Union Canal and later to the (West Coast Main Line) railway that passed through to the nearby parish of Wolverton.
Today the village is a suburb of Central Milton Keynes, though the residents like to maintain their autonomy. The Parochial Church Council still meets at the ecumenical parish church of St. Mary.
Read more about this topic: Woughton
Famous quotes containing the word green:
“It seemed like this was one big Prozac nation, one big mess of malaise. Perhaps the next time half a million people gather for a protest march on the White House green it will not be for abortion rights or gay liberation, but because were all so bummed out.”
—Elizabeth Wurtzel, U.S. author. Prozac Nation: Young and Depressed in America, p. 298, Houghton Mifflin (1994)