Wolverton - Civil Parish

Civil Parish

Wolverton formed a civil parish within the Stratford and Wolverton Rural District from 1894 to 1919, which also contained the parishes of Calverton, Stony Stratford East and Stony Stratford West. The parishes had previously been part of the Potterspury Rural Sanitary District until it was disbanded in 1894. In 1919 these parishes, combined with New Bradwell, became part of the Stratford and Wolverton Urban District (renamed the Wolverton Urban District in 1920). This urban district would remain in existence until 1974 when it became part of the Borough of Milton Keynes. Today, Wolverton is the larger element of the modern parish of Wolverton and Greenleys.

Read more about this topic:  Wolverton

Other articles related to "parish, civil parish, civil":

List Of Enclaves And Exclaves - Enclaves Which Are Also Exclaves - Subnational Enclaves Which Are Also Exclaves
... Sirgala district are also enclaves, since they are surrounded by Kohtla Parish, Toila Parish and Vaivara Parish, respectively ... municipality is surrounded by Vaivara Parish ... or enclaves, and the few that persist are on the municipal or civil parish level In Coimbra District, the civil parish of Taveiro in Coimbra municipality has an ...
Somerford Booths
... Somerford Booths is a small civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England ... The civil parish holds a parish council meeting under a grouping scheme with the civil parish of Hulme Walfield, and so it is consequently called Hulme Walfield Somerford Booths ... The parish is small and now consists of scattered farms and small groupings of houses, including the hamlet of Newsbank ...
Poole, Cheshire - Geography, Transport and Economy
... The civil parish has a total area of 762 acres (3.08 km2) ... A network of unnamed brooks, tributaries of the River Weaver, run across the civil parish, with more undulating terrain occurring in their vicinity the eastern parish boundary and parts of the ... In the north east of the parish, near Poole Old Hall, is an area designated as access land ...
Skinnand - Government
... The parish of Skinnand was originally in the higher division of the ancient Boothby Graffoe wapentake, in the North Kesteven division of the county of Lincolnshire ... Skinnand was classed as an ancient parish from the 11th to the 19th century, as it came "under the jurisdiction of a clergyman" and existed before 1597 ... The parish began to take on civil as well as ecclesiastical duties following the 16th century Dissolution of the Monasteries and the Tudor Poor Law Acts of 1601 ...
Sutton, Essex
127 (2001) OS grid reference TQ887893 Civil parish Sutton District Rochford Shire county Essex Region East Country England Sovereign state United Kingdom Post town Rochford Postcode district SS4 ... The civil parish of Shopland was amalgamated with Sutton in 1933 ...

Famous quotes containing the words parish and/or civil:

    There is not a single crowned head in Europe whose talents or merit would entitle him to be elected a vestryman by the people of any parish in America.
    Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826)

    During the Civil War the area became a refuge for service- dodging Texans, and gangs of bushwhackers, as they were called, hid in its fastnesses. Conscript details of the Confederate Army hunted the fugitives and occasional skirmishes resulted.
    —Administration in the State of Texa, U.S. public relief program (1935-1943)