Home and Professional
Windows XP Professional offers a number of features unavailable in the Home Edition, including:
- The ability to become part of a Windows Server domain, a group of computers that are remotely managed by one or more central servers.
- An access control scheme that allows specific permissions on files to be granted to specific users under normal circumstances. However, users can use tools other than Windows Explorer (like cacls or File Manager), or restart to Safe Mode to modify access control lists.
- Remote Desktop server, which allows a PC to be operated by another Windows XP user over a local area network or the Internet.
- Offline Files and Folders, which allow the PC to automatically store a copy of files from another networked computer and work with them while disconnected from the network.
- Encrypting File System, which encrypts files stored on the computer's hard drive so they cannot be read by another user, even with physical access to the storage medium.
- Centralized administration features, including Group Policies, Automatic Software Installation and Maintenance, Roaming User Profiles, and Remote Installation Service (RIS).
- Internet Information Services (IIS), Microsoft's HTTP and FTP Server.
- Support for two physical central processing units (CPU). (Because the number of CPU cores and Hyper-threading capabilities on modern CPUs are considered to be part of a single physical processor, multicore CPUs are supported using XP Home Edition.)
- Windows Management Instrumentation Console (WMIC): WMIC is a command-line tool designed to ease WMI information retrieval about a system by using simple keywords (aliases).
- The ability to switch hard disk storage type from Basic to Dynamic and vice-versa.
Read more about this topic: Windows XP Editions
Other articles related to "home and professional":
... This version comes preinstalled on OEM solutions providing desktops on Blade PC hardware ... In addition to a copy of Windows XP Professional, it includes a Remote Desktop License ...
Famous quotes containing the words professional and/or home:
“... all professional ideologies are high-minded. Hunters, for instance, would not dream of calling themselves the butchers of the woods.”
—Robert Musil (18801942)
“Many women cut back what had to be done at home by redefining what the house, the marriage and, sometimes, what the child needs. One woman described a fairly common pattern: I do my half. I do half of his half, and the rest doesnt get done.”
—Arlie Hochschild (20th century)