A try is the major way of scoring points in rugby league and rugby union football. A try is scored by grounding the ball in the opposition's in-goal area (on or behind the goal line). Rugby union and league differ slightly in defining 'grounding the ball' and the 'in-goal' area.
Read more about Try.
More definitions of "try":
- (noun): Earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something.
Example: "She gave it a good try"
Synonyms: attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour
- (verb): Put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to.
Synonyms: test, prove, try out, examine, essay
- (verb): Melt (fat, lard, etc.) in order to separate out impurities.
Example: "Try the yak butter"
- (verb): Put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice.
Example: "Try on this sweater to see how it looks"
Synonyms: try on
- (verb): Give pain or trouble to.
Example: "I've been sorely tried by these students"
- (verb): Examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process.