A top (also called spinning top or spintop) is a toy that can be spun on an axis, balancing on a point.
Read more about Top.
Some articles on top:
... Although it is Steps' only single to miss the top ten in the UK, it is also one of their highest sellers ... It remained in the top 20 for ten weeks and sold over 300,000 copies, more than some of their top 5 hits ... In the UK it was the highest ever selling single of the 1990s not to enter the top 10 in the UK Singles Chart ...
... fourth straight points-paying race at Lowe's and surged into a tie with Tony Stewart for the top of the standings ... The top three finishers were involved in the 2005 Chase for the NEXTEL Cup ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Kurt Busch Greg Biffle Joe Nemechek Mark Martin Casey Mears Ryan Newman Denny Hamlin Ricky Rudd Carl Edwards Failed to qualify Boris Said (#36), Carl Long (#00), Jimmy Spencer (#5 ...
... The university has entered the top 1% of institutions in physics and, of the nine institutions entering the top 1% in this field, the University of ... the University of Maribor is in the top 15 of “Top Central and Eastern Europe Universities." It currently (2010) holds 534th position (of 12,000) of the world universities ranking, which ranks it among the ...
... And what I really worry about is, there is so much money and so much power at the very top, and the gap between those people at the very top and everybody else is so great ... Prize winning economist Joseph Stiglitz says, Of all the costs imposed on our society by the top 1 percent, perhaps the greatest is this the erosion of ... of a poor citizen, or even a middle-class citizen, making it to the top in America are smaller than in many countries of Europe ...
... The rest of the top-5 were Carl Edwards, Jeremy Mayfield, and Ryan Newman with notable mention given to Ken Schrader in 9th, his second top ten of 2005 which had spearheaded his recent ... Top Ten Results Jimmie Johnson Bobby Labonte Carl Edwards Jeremy Mayfield Ryan Newman Greg Biffle Martin Truex Jr ...
More definitions of "top":
- (verb): Be ahead of others; be the first.
- (verb): Be at the top of or constitute the top or highest point.
Example: "A star tops the Christmas Tree"
- (noun): Platform surrounding the head of a lower mast.
- (noun): A conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin.
Example: "He got a bright red top and string for his birthday"
Synonyms: whirligig, teetotum, spinning top
- (adj): Situated at the top or highest position.
Example: "The top shelf"
- (noun): A garment (especially for women) that extends from the shoulders to the waist or hips.
Example: "He stared as she buttoned her top"
- (noun): The highest level or degree attainable.
Example: "At the top of his profession"
Synonyms: acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative
- (verb): Finish up or conclude.
Example: "Top the evening with champagne"
Synonyms: top off
- (noun): Covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container).
Example: "He removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"
- (noun): The highest or uppermost side of anything.
Example: "Put your books on top of the desk"; "only the top side of the box was painted"
Synonyms: top side, upper side, upside
- (verb): Strike (the top part of a ball in golf, baseball, or pool) giving it a forward spin.
- (noun): The first half of an inning; while the visiting team is at bat.
Example: "A relief pitcher took over in the top of the fifth"
Synonyms: top of the inning
- (noun): A canvas tent to house the audience at a circus performance.
Example: "They had the big top up in less than an hour"
Synonyms: circus tent, big top, round top
- (verb): Be the culminating event.
- (verb): Cut the top off.
Example: "Top trees and bushes"
- (verb): Pass by, over, or under without making contact.
- (verb): Reach or ascend the top of.
Example: "The hikers topped the mountain just before noon"
- (verb): Provide with a top.
Example: "The towers were topped with conical roofs"
- (noun): The greatest possible intensity.
Example: "He screamed at the top of his lungs"
- (adj): Not to be surpassed.
Example: "His top effort"
Famous quotes containing the word top:
“The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor.”
—Albert Camus (19131960)
“I sweep. One gyrates like a top and falls
And stunned, stone blind, and deaf
Buzzes its frightful F
And dies between three cannibals.”
—Karl Shapiro (b. 1913)
“Thats how the Germans are.... The aristocrats at the top hard as glass, cold as ice, servants of the King, the working masses willing, pliable, sentimental, susceptible to brutality, the middle class educated and cowardly to the point of servility.”
—Alfred Döblin (18781957)