More definitions of "off":
- (adv): From a particular thing or place or position ('forth' is obsolete).
Example: "Went off to school"; "they drove off"
Synonyms: away, forth
- (adj): Not performing or scheduled for duties.
Example: "He's off every Tuesday"; "he was off duty when it happened"; "an off-duty policeman"
Synonyms: off duty, off-duty
- (adv): At a distance in space or time.
Example: "The boat was 5 miles off (or away)"; "the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)"
- (adj): Not in operation or operational.
Example: "The oven is off"; "the lights are off"
- (adj): (of events) no longer planned or scheduled.
Example: "The wedding is definitely off"
- (adv): No longer on or in contact or attached.
Example: "Clean off the dirt"; "he shaved off his mustache"