More definitions of "minister":
- (noun): The job of a head of a government department.
- (verb): Attend to the wants and needs of others.
Example: "I have to minister to my mother all the time"
- (verb): Work as a minister.
Example: "She is ministering in an old parish"
- (noun): A diplomat representing one government to another; ranks below ambassador.
Synonyms: diplomatic minister
- (noun): A person appointed to a high office in the government.
Example: "Minister of Finance"
Synonyms: government minister
Famous quotes containing the word minister:
“[T]he dignity of parliament it seems can brook no opposition to its power. Strange that a set of men who have made sale of their virtue to the minister should yet talk of retaining dignity!”
—Thomas Jefferson (17431826)
“Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased,
Pluck from the memory a rooted sorrow,
Raze out the written troubles of the brain,
And with some sweet oblivious antidote
Cleanse the fraught bosom of that perilous stuff
Which weighs upon the heart?”
—William Shakespeare (15641616)