A fin is a thin component or appendage attached to a larger body or structure. Fins typically function as foils that produce lift or thrust, or provide the ability to steer or stabilise motion while traveling in water, air, or other fluid media. Fins are also used to increase surface areas for heat transfer purposes, or simply as an ornamentation.
Read more about Fin.
Some articles on fin:
... genera, members have a ridge behind their dorsal fin and an adipose fin membrane ... However, in Hemipsilichthys, the dorsal fin membrane and most anterior plate of the adipose fin do not touch, while they do in Delturus ...
... The use of fins for the propulsion of aquatic animals can be remarkably effective ... It has been calculated that some fish can achieve a propulsive efficiency greater than 90% ...
... Mika Halvari (FIN) 19.29 m 4 ... Markus Koistinen (FIN) 19.05 m 6 ... Antero Paljakka (FIN) 18.00 m ...
... Petri Peltoniemi (FIN) 5.60 m Denis Petushinskiy (RUS) Danny Krasnov (ISR) Gerald Baudouin (FRA) 5 ... Daniel Martí (ESP) 5.40 m Heikki Vaaraniemi (FIN) 12 ... Jani Lehtinen (FIN) 5.50 m 7 ...
... Davidson FRA AUT GER NAT IOM YUG NED CZE SWE FIN ESP 8 23rd 0 500cc Harley Davidson FRA AUT GER IOM YUG NED BEL CZE SWE FIN ESP 10 19th 0 1974 ...
More definitions of "fin":
- (noun): A shoe for swimming; the paddle-like front is an aid in swimming (especially underwater).
Synonyms: flipper, flippers, fins
- (noun): The cardinal number that is the sum of four and one.
Synonyms: five, 5, V, cinque, quint, quintet, fivesome, quintuplet, pentad, Phoebe, Little Phoebe
- (noun): Organ of locomotion and balance in fishes and some other aquatic animals.
- (verb): Propel oneself through the water in a finning motion.
- (verb): Show the fins above the water while swimming.
Synonyms: break water
- (noun): One of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile.
Synonyms: tail fin, tailfin
- (noun): One of a set of parallel slats in a door or window to admit air and reject rain.
Synonyms: louver, louvre
- (noun): A stabilizer that resembles the fins of a fish.
Famous quotes containing the word fin:
“Since the fin has come a little early this siecle and anomie is all the rage, wry, dry tenderness is a suspect commodity.”
—Angela Carter (19401992)