More definitions of "ferment":
- (noun): A state of agitation or turbulent change or development.
Example: "The political ferment produced a new leadership"
Synonyms: agitation, fermentation, unrest
- (noun): A process in which an agent causes an organic substance to break down into simpler substances; especially, the anaerobic breakdown of sugar into alcohol.
Synonyms: zymosis, zymolysis, fermentation, fermenting
- (noun): A chemical phenomenon in which an organic molecule splits into simpler substances.
- (verb): Be in an agitated or excited state.
Example: "The Middle East is fermenting"; "Her mind ferments"
- (noun): A substance capable of bringing about fermentation.
- (verb): Work up into agitation or excitement.
Example: "Islam is fermenting Africa"
Famous quotes containing the word ferment:
“It is not all bad, this getting old, ripening. After the fruit has got its growth it should juice up and mellow. God forbid I should live long enough to ferment and rot and fall to the ground in a squash.”
—Emily Carr (18711945)