More definitions of "constant":
- (adj): Persistent in occurrence and unvarying in nature.
Example: "Maintained a constant temperature"; "a constant beat"
Synonyms: changeless, invariant, steady, unvarying
- (noun): A number representing a quantity assumed to have a fixed value in a specified mathematical context.
Example: "The velocity of light is a constant"
- (adj): Uninterrupted in time and indefinitely long continuing.
Example: "In constant pain"
Synonyms: ceaseless, incessant, never-ending, perpetual, unceasing, unremitting
- (adj): Steadfast in purpose or devotion or affection.
Example: "A man constant in adherence to his ideals"; "a constant lover"; "constant as the northern star"
- (noun): A quantity that does not vary.
Synonyms: constant quantity
Famous quotes containing the word constant:
“Our farmers round, well pleased with constant gain,
Like other farmers, flourish and complain.”
—George Crabbe (17541832)
“Henry David Thoreau, who never earned much of a living or sustained a relationship with any woman that wasnt brotherlywho lived mostly under his parents roof ... who advocated one days work and six days off as the weekly round and was considered a bit of a fool in his hometown ... is probably the American writer who tells us best how to live comfortably with our most constant companion, ourselves.”
—Edward Hoagland (b. 1932)
“The tears of the world are a constant quality. For each one who begins to weep, somewhere else another stops. The same is true of the laugh.”
—Samuel Beckett (19061989)