More definitions of "butt":
- (noun): Finely ground tobacco wrapped in paper; for smoking.
Synonyms: cigarette, cigaret, coffin nail, fag
- (noun): A large cask (especially one holding a volume equivalent to 2 hogsheads or 126 gallons).
- (verb): Lie adjacent to another or share a boundary.
Synonyms: border, adjoin, edge, abut, march, butt against, butt on
- (verb): To strike, thrust or shove against, often with head or horns.
- (noun): Sports equipment consisting of an object set up for a marksman or archer to aim at.
- (noun): The small unused part of something (especially the end of a cigarette that is left after smoking).
- (noun): A joint made by fastening ends together without overlapping.
Synonyms: butt joint
- (noun): Thick end of the handle.
Synonyms: butt end
- (noun): The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on.
Example: "He deserves a good kick in the butt"
Synonyms: buttocks, nates, arse, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass
Famous quotes containing the word butt:
“Johnson did not answer ...; but talking for victory and determined to be master of the field, he had recourse to the device which Goldsmith imputed to him in the witty words of one of Cibbers comedies. There is no arguing with Johnson; for when his pistol misses fire, he knocks you down with the butt end of it.”
—Samuel Johnson (17091784)
“When Dad cant get the diaper on straight, we laugh at him as though he were trying to walk around in high-heel shoes. Do we ever assist him by pointing out that all you have to do is lay out the diaper like a baseball diamond, put the kids butt on the pitchers mound, bring home plate up, then fasten the tapes at first and third base?”
—Michael K. Meyerhoff (20th century)
“Listening to a news broadcast is like smoking a cigarette and crushing the butt in the ashtray.”
—Milan Kundera (b. 1929)