What is abbey gateway?

Some articles on abbey, abbey gateway, gateway:

St Albans School (Hertfordshire) - Post-Reformation History
... After the dissolution of the Abbey, Richard Boreman, the last Abbot, became Headmaster and the school moved to a chapel near St Peter's church in St Albans after its buildings in Romeland were demolished by ... In 1553 the Crown sold the Abbey Church to the town for £400 (the value of the lead on its roof) and became a Church of England parish church for the new Borough of St Albans ... outgrew its St Peter's church premises, and moved again to the Lady Chapel at the east end of the Abbey, which was separated with a wall made of smashed stones from the ancient shrine of St Alban ...
Reading Abbey - Remains - Abbey Gateway
... Abbey Gateway after the restoration by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1861 The Abbey's Inner Gateway also known as the Abbey Gateway adjoins Reading's crown court and Forbury Gardens ... The Inner Gateway is one of only two buildings that survived the dissolution, the other being the Hospitium ... The Inner Gateway which once guarded the way into the monks' area with the Abbot's House from The Forbury, which was open to the general public ...
Abbey Gateway, Chester - Architecture
... The gateway is built in red sandstone with gables to the front and rear ... The west face has a central arch for vehicles and a smaller arch to the south for pedestrians ...

Famous quotes containing the words gateway and/or abbey:

    The whole fauna of human fantasies, their marine vegetation, drifts and luxuriates in the dimly lit zones of human activity, as though plaiting thick tresses of darkness. Here, too, appear the lighthouses of the mind, with their outward resemblance to less pure symbols. The gateway to mystery swings open at the touch of human weakness and we have entered the realms of darkness. One false step, one slurred syllable together reveal a man’s thoughts.
    Louis Aragon (1897–1982)

    The Abbey always reminds me of that old toast, “Above lofty timbers, the walls around are bare, echoing to our laughter, as though the dead were there.”
    Garrett Fort (1900–1945)