Features of the voiceless bilabial stop:
- Its manner of articulation is occlusive, which means it is produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract. Since the consonant is also oral, with no nasal outlet, the airflow is blocked entirely, and the consonant is a stop.
- Its place of articulation is bilabial, which means it is articulated with both lips.
- Its phonation is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords. In some languages the vocal cords are actively separated, so it is always voiceless; in others the cords are lax, so that it may take on the voicing of adjacent sounds.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- Because the sound is not produced with airflow over the tongue, the central–lateral dichotomy does not apply.
- The airstream mechanism is pulmonic, which means it is articulated by pushing air solely with the lungs and diaphragm, as in most sounds.
Read more about this topic: Voiceless Bilabial Stop
Other articles related to "features":
... Considerable speculation has surrounded the possible adaptive value of other physical features characteristic of groups, such as the constellation of facial features observed in many eastern and ... multiple groups, and demonstrating that environmental selective pressures shaped specific physical features will be difficult, since such features may have resulted from ...
... The PDP-11 had several uniquely innovative features, and was easier to program than its predecessors with its use of general registers ... Design features of the PDP-11 influenced the design of microprocessors such as the Motorola 68000 design features of its operating systems, as well as other operating systems from Digital Equipment ... language took advantage of several low-level PDP-11–dependent programming features, albeit not originally by design ...
... At common compression ratios, up to about 501, Fractal compression provides similar results to DCT-based algorithms such as JPEG ... At high compression ratios fractal compression may offer superior quality ...
... Makers of XLIFF tools have supported different sets of features in the XLIFF 1.2 Specification ... By compiling a list of these features the XLIFF TC hopes to identify areas where the XLIFF 2.0 Specification can be improved to enable toolmakers to more widely support the specification ...
Famous quotes containing the word features:
“Each reader discovers for himself that, with respect to the simpler features of nature, succeeding poets have done little else than copy his similes.”
—Henry David Thoreau (18171862)
“Art is the child of Nature; yes,
Her darling child, in whom we trace
The features of the mothers face,
Her aspect and her attitude.”
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (18071882)
“It is a tribute to the peculiar horror of contemporary life that it makes the worst features of earlier timesthe stupefaction of the masses, the obsessed and driven lives of the bourgeoisieseem attractive by comparison.”
—Christopher Lasch (b. 1932)