- Esther Benjamin, former semi pro Basketball player. Won bronze Medal in the 1996 Olympic Team, games held in St. Louis MS. Went to Valdosta High School graduated from Old Dominion University, and died in tragic car accident on Feb. 16th, 2000
- Buck Belue, former Valdosta High School standout and quarterback of the University of Georgia's 1980 national championship team, now a radio talk show host
- Vincent Burns, NFL defensive tackle Indianapolis Colts
- Randall Godfrey, NFL linebacker, Seattle Seahawks & San Diego Chargers
- Jay Ratliff, NFL nose tackle, Dallas Cowboys
- Brice Hunter, NFL wide receiver, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Todd Peterson, former NFL player
- Coleman Rudolph, American football player, former Georgia Tech college player, NFL, New York Giants and New York Jets
- Dana Brinson, former NFL player
- Stan Rome, former NFL player, Kansas City Chiefs (1979–1982)
- Willie Gary, NFL, St. Louis Rams, played in Super Bowl XXXVI
- Dusty Bonner, VSU quarterback, later played for Kentucky and eventually NFL for the Atlanta Falcons and arena football league
- William "Red" Dawson Only surviving Coach of the 1970 Marshall Tragedy, Chronicled in the movie We Are Marshall
- Ellis Clary, former Major League Baseball player, coach, and scout
- Desmond (Desi) Relaford, Major League Baseball infielder
- Briny Baird, professional golfer who has played on the PGA Tour and Nationwide Tour.
- Lorenzo Cain, center fielder for the Kansas City Royals.
- Nick Ragaller, Famous movie star. Movies include: The Master of Disaster. Ruler of Valdosta.
Other articles related to "sports, sport":
... The University of Manchester operates sports clubs via the Athletics Union while student societies are operated by the Students' Union ... The sports societies vary widely in their level and scope ... Many more popular sports operate several university teams and departmental teams which compete in leagues against other teams within the university ...
... of stand-up grappling varies according to the martial arts or combat sports in question ... In combat sports, stand-up grappling usually revolves around successful takedowns and throws ... In some sports such as glima, the fight is over once one of the opponents has fallen down ...
... Football is the most widely-followed sport in Bucharest, with the city having numerous club teams, some of them being known throughout Europe Steaua, Dinamo or Rapid ... There are sport clubs for ice hockey, rugby union, basketball, handball, water polo and volleyball ... Hall, which is also used for other indoor sports such as volleyball and handball ...
... Olympia is the home of the Oly Rollers, the local women's flat track roller derby league whose travel team (the Cosa Nostra Donnas) became the 2009 national champions of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) by winning the national "Declaration of Derby" tournament in Philadelphia, PA on November 15, 2009 ... Olympia is also home to some of the Pacific Northwest's greatest running talents such as the Guerilla Running Racing Club. ...
Famous quotes containing the word sports:
“Sweet smiling village, loveliest of the lawn,
Thy sports are fled and all thy charms withdrawn;
Amidst thy bowers the tyrants hand is seen,
And desolation saddens all thy green;
One only master grasps the whole domain,
And half a tillage stints thy smiling plain;”
—Oliver Goldsmith (1730?1774)
“Guys do not have a genetic blueprint that allows them to understand or love sports.”
—Lesley Visser, U.S. sports reporter and announcer. As quoted in Sports Illustrated, p. 82 (June 17, 1991)
“Come, my Celia, let us prove
While we may the sports of love;
Time will not be ours forever,
He at length our good will sever.”
—Ben Jonson (15721637)