USS Mc Cawley (APA-4)
USS McCawley (APA-4) was a McCawley-class attack transport that served with the U.S. Navy during World War II. Named after Charles G. McCawley, eighth Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, she was the lead ship in her class.
The second McCawley, formerly SS Santa Barbara, was completed in 1928 by the Furness Shipbuilding Company of Haverton Hill-on-Tees, England; acquired by the Navy from Grace Lines 26 July 1940; renamed McCawley (AP-10) 29 July 1940; and commissioned 11 September 1940, Capt. H. D. McHenry in command. She was reclassified an attack transport, APA-4, on 1 February 1943.
Read more about USS Mc Cawley (APA-4): World War II