For other ships of the same name, see USS Augusta.
|Builder:||William H. Webb|
|Acquired:||by purchase, 1 August 1861|
|Commissioned:||28 September 1861|
|Decommissioned:||6 January 1865|
|Fate:||Sold, 2 December 1868; sank, 27 September 1877|
|Displacement:||1,310 long tons (1,330 t)|
|Length:||220 ft (67 m)|
|Beam:||35 ft 4 in (10.77 m)|
|Draft:||14 ft 3 in (4.34 m)|
|Depth of hold:||21 ft 10 in (6.65 m)|
side paddle wheels
|Speed:||11 kn (13 mph; 20 km/h)|
|Complement:||157 officers and enlisted|
|Armament:||8 × 32 pdr (15 kg) smoothbore guns, 1 × 12 pdr (5.4 kg) rifle|
The second USS Augusta was a side-wheel steamer in the United States Navy during the American Civil War. She was named for the city of Augusta, Georgia.
Designed and constructed by the noted American shipbuilder, William H. Webb, the second Augusta was completed in 1853 at New York City and operated out of that port carrying passengers and freight for the New York and Savannah Steam Navigation Company on runs to Savannah, Georgia and New Orleans, Louisiana. Early in the Civil War, as the Union Navy was expanding its fleet for the Herculean task of blockading the Confederate coast, the Federal Government purchased the side-wheeler at New York on 1 August 1861. She was fitted out for naval service by the New York Navy Yard and commissioned there on 28 September 1861, Commander Enoch Greenleafe Parrott in command.