University of Saskatchewan - Museums and Galleries

Museums and Galleries

The Agricultural Displays and Kloppenburg Collection are hosted in the Agriculture & Bioresources College. The agricultural wall displays are located in the walkway connecting the Agriculture Building and the Biology Building. The Kloppenburg Collection is featured on the sixth floor of the College of Agriculture and Bioresources building which opened in 1991. Twenty seven works by famous Saskatchewan artists are featured in this donation to the University of Saskatchewan. Beamish Conservatory and Leo Kristjanson Atrium is also located within the Agriculture & Bioresources College. The Leo Kristjanson atrium is located in the College of Agriculture and Bioresources building and hosts the conservatory. The Beamish Conservatory is named in honour of the donor May Beamish who is the daughter of artist Augustus Kenderdine.

The University of Saskatchewan's 75th Anniversary in 1984 was the starting catalyst for the Athletic Wall of Fame at which time 75 honours were bestowed. The wall of fame celebrates achievements by athletes, teams securing a regional and/or national championship, as well as builders who can be either an administrator, coach, manager, trainer or other major contributor toward the Huskie athletic community for a time period of at least 10 years and have provided outstanding notable support. As of 2001, an annual event, the Huskie Salute inaugurates a new candidate into the Athletic Wall of Fame.

The College Building was officially declared a Canadian National Historic Site by Sheila Copps, Minister of Canadian Heritage on February 27, 2001. The College Building was the first building under construction on the University, and upon completion was used for agriculture degree classes.

The Right Honourable John G. Diefenbaker Centre for the Study of Canada, also known as the Diefenbaker Canada Centre, houses the Diefenbaker paper collection and legacy, changing exhibit, Centre for the Study of Co-operatives and the Native Law Centre. The grave site of Canadian Prime Minister John Diefenbaker is located near this museum.

The Gordon Snelgrove Gallery features displays of Master of Fine Arts graduating exhibitions, as well as Bachelor of Fine Arts shows, and is located within the Murray Building on campus.

The Kenderdine Art Gallery celebrated its official opening October 25, 1991. Augustus Frederick Lafosse (Gus) Kenderdine began the University Art Camp at Emma Lake in 1936, the precursor to the Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus, a bequest was donated to the University of Saskatchewan by his daughter, Mrs. May Beamish, and initialized the formation of the Kenderdine Art Gallery which has a permanent collection started by Dr. Murray, as well as ongoing exhibits.

The MacAulay Pharmaceutical Collection is located in the Thorvaldson Building, Room 118A. The collection showcases early 20th-century pharmaceutical paraphernalia, as well as early First Nations remedies such as cherry bark syrup and smartweed.

The Memorial Gates were constructed in honour of those U of S students who made the ultimate sacrifice. Inscribed on the gates themselves is an inscription, “These are they who went forth from this University to the Great War and gave their lives that we might live in freedom.”

The Museum of Antiquities started its collection in 1974, and opened in 1981 at its new location. The museum celebrates notable artistic, sculptural and art achievements of various civilizations and eras.

The W. P. Thompson Biology Building hosts a two story high atrium which houses both geological and biological displays as well as a full-size skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

The University of Saskatchewan Observatory offers public viewing hours, school tours, as well as an adopt-a-star program. An adopted star can commemorate a special or significant achievement, or person and the award is given via certificate, honourable registry mention and maps of star location and facts sheet.

The Rugby Chapel, built in 1912 (as a gift from the students of Rugby School) and moved from Prince Albert, has been declared a City of Saskatoon Municipal Heritage Property. Rugby Chapel, the precursor to College of Emmanuel and St. Chad was first constructed in 1883 and designated The University of Saskatchewan (Saskatchewan Provisional District of the North West Territories), in Prince Albert.

The St. Thomas More College Art Gallery was first opened in 1964 and hosts artwork of local and regional artists.

The Victoria School House, known also as the Little Stone School House, was built in 1888 as the first school house of the Temperance Colony. The one room school house was originally constructed in Nutana. The location is now known as five corners at the south or top of the Broadway Bridge. The school yard at one time comprised three school houses, as the population grew. The little stone school house was preserved and moved on campus. It was declared a historic site on June 1, 1967.

Read more about this topic:  University Of Saskatchewan

Other articles related to "museums and galleries, museum, museums":

Buildings At Newcastle University - Organisation - Museums and Galleries
... The University is associated with a number of the region's museums and galleries, including the Great North Museum project, which is primarily based at the world-ren ... The Great North Museum Hancock also contains collections from two of the University's other museums, the Shefton Museum and the Museum of Antiquities ... The University's Hatton Gallery is also a part of the Great North Museum project, and remains within the Fine Art Building ...
Jabriya - Museums
... Tariq Rajab Museum in Jabriya, opened in 1980 Dar El CID in Jabriya. ...
Santurce, San Juan, Puerto Rico - Culture - Museums and Galleries
... Santurce is the main residence of two major museums on the island ... the Museum of Art of Puerto Rico the Puerto Rico Museum of Contemporary Art the Galería Casa Jefferson ...
Culture In Rome - The Arts - Architecture and City Layout - Museums and Galleries
... The most important museums and galleries of Rome include the National Museum of Rome, the Museum of Roman Civilization, the Villa Giulia National Etruscan Museum, the ...
List Of Visitor Attractions In Greater Orlando - Museums and Galleries
... Smedley National Vietnam War Museum, a Vietnam War museum located in East Orlando ... gardens in Winter Park, Florida just north of Orlando, also features the Leu House Museum, furnished to the early 1900s Mennello Museum of American Art Orange ... Orlando Museum of Art Orlando Science Center Ripley's Believe It or Not! is an Orlando odditorium located on International Drive in a building artfully constructed to appear as if it were collapsing to one side, which ...

Famous quotes containing the words museums and, galleries and/or museums:

    In museums and palaces we are alternate radicals and conservatives.
    Henry James (1843–1816)

    I have got enough of the old masters! Brown says he has “shook” them, and I think I will shake them, too. You wander through a mile of picture galleries and stare stupidly at ghastly old nightmares done in lampblack and lightning, and listen to the ecstatic encomiums of the guides, and try to get up some enthusiasm, but it won’t come.
    Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] (1835–1910)

    In museums and palaces we are alternate radicals and conservatives.
    Henry James (1843–1816)