Biotechnology Research Institute
The Biotechnology Research Institute (BRI) was established in January 2002 to function as a Center of Excellence in the field of Biotechnology at Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS). The establishment of BRI is in tandem with the nation's efforts to promote research and development in biological or life sciences for the improvement of the quality of human life in relations to medicine, food, agricultural science and environmental protection.
The main functions of the Institute are:
- To promote research and postgraduate training through a demand-driven education programme in the field of biotechnology;
- To undertake strategic biotechnology research in key areas relevant to the geographical location of Universiti Malaysia Sabah;
- To serve as a facility centre housing high-end analytical equipment;
- To serve as a biotechnology hub for Sabah and its surrounding regions;
- To develop corporate partnerships to help drive the nation's biotechnology industry;
- To create and encourage an entrepreneurial culture among UMS researchers in the commercialisation of biotechnology R&D outputs;
- To support and contribute to the nation and Sabah bio-industries.
Other articles related to "research, institute":
... One of the characteristics of artistic research is that it must accept subjectivity as opposed to the classical scientific methods ... the social sciences in using qualitative research and intersubjectivity as tools to apply measurement and critical analysis ... Artistic research has been defined by the University of Dance and Circus (Dans och Cirkushögskolan, DOCH), Stockholm in the following manner - "Artistic research is to investigate and ...
... As a graduate student in the 1930s Seaborg performed wet chemistry research for his advisor Gilbert Newton Lewis and published three papers with him on the theory of acids and bases ... studied thoroughly the text Applied Radiochemistry by Otto Hahn, of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Chemistry in Berlin and it had a major impact on his developing interests as a research scientist ... For several years, Seaborg conducted important research in artificial radioactivity using the Lawrence cyclotron at UC Berkeley ...
... Their use in stem cell research, reproductive cloning, and germline engineering are currently being explored ... The morality of this type of research is debated because an embryo is often used ...
Famous quotes containing the words institute and/or research:
“Whenever any form of government shall become destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, & to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles & organising its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety & happiness.”
—Thomas Jefferson (17431826)
“It is a good morning exercise for a research scientist to discard a pet hypothesis every day before breakfast. It keeps him young.”
—Konrad Lorenz (19031989)