The eparchy was established at some time during the mid 12th century, with its see originally in Halych. In 1303 it was raised to a second Metropolia of the Ukrainian Church and held such status during several periods of the 14th century, until after 1401 the title of the vacated province was moved to the Metropolitan of Kyiv. In the mid 1539 the eparchy was re-established with its see moved to Lviv. The eparchy at first did not recognize the Union of Brest of 1596, which restored full communion with the Holy See, and joined it only in 1700.
Following the Partitions of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at the end of 18th century when most of the Ukrainian lands fell under Russian rule, the Metropolia of Halych was re-established in 1807, covering the Austrian ruled region of Halychyna and Lviv was elevated to the rank of archeparchy.
After the Second World War, in 1946 the Archeparchy, together with the entire Ukrainian Church was forcefully subjected under the Russian Orthodox Church, but it secretly continued to function in its canonical territory, and in 1959, was elevated by Pope John XXIII to the rank of Major Archeparchy.
After the collapse the Church could begin restoring canonical regularity. When the Major Archeparchy of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church returned from the city of Lviv to the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in 2004, Lviv remained an archeparchy.
As of 2013 the Archbishop of Lviv was Archbishop Ihor Vozniak He was auxiliary bishop of the Major Archeparchy of Lviv during 2001–2004, and with the renaming of the Major Archeparchy of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, he became auxiliary bishop of the new Ukrainian Catholic Major Archeparchy of Kyiv-Halych in December 2004. In 2005 Pope Benedict XVI named him the first archbishop of the new Archeparchy of Lviv.
Famous quotes containing the word catholic:
“The Catholic Church has never really come to terms with women. What I object to is being treated either as Madonnas or Mary Magdalenes.”
—Shirley Williams (b. 1930)