- The background of the OTU features a human-dominated universe. As such, the core rules primarily focus on development of human characters touching only briefly on a few non-human species. There are numerous Traveller publications however, with rules and extensive information on playing members of other races.
- Despite the dominance of humanity, a large number of aliens was always implied to exist, inside and outside of Charted Space. The number of aliens per sector is estimated to vary from zero (in "barren" sectors) to eight or more (for example, in the Spinward Marches sector).
- Interstellar travel
- Interstellar travel is facilitated, and limited, by the use of a technology called the jump drive. These drives are capable of propelling a spacecraft between one to six parsecs depending on the individual drive's specifications. Regardless of the distance of a jump, the duration required for the trip is approximately one week, thereby recreating an "age of sail" feel to the game.
- Limited communication
- A central theme to Traveller is that there is no form of faster-than-light information transfer – meaning no ansible, subspace radio or hyper-wave communication technology is available. Most interplanetary communication is handled by courier ships, most commonly "X-boats", which are small Imperial vessels with long-distance jump drives that travel between systems transmitting and receiving vital data. Systems not on an X-boat route must rely on mail runs brought in by visiting ships.
- The new feudalism
- The restraint on the speed of information leads to decentralization and the vestment of significant power in the hands of local officials. This isolation causes entire wars to be fought, won, or lost on the frontiers before a message gets to any remote administrative capitals to let them know the war has even begun. This means that all kinds of agents, from merchants to generals, must show initiative and be reasonably independent from their corporate or political overlords. Since local rulers cannot be directly controlled by central authority, affairs are managed by a class of independent nobility, who make use of classic titles such as Baron, Duke and Archduke. This decentralization of authority is one means of coping with the difficulties imposed by size and limits of speed of transportation technology.
- Non-utopian future
- In the OTU, the human race never evolves into a superior state. People remain people and continue to show courage, wisdom, honesty and justice, along with cowardice, deceit, and criminal behavior. Tension is vented regularly in small conflicts before they have a chance to reach Imperium-shattering proportions. Thus, planets are allowed to fight out internal wars, and capitalism is the major driving force of civilization.
- No prime directive
- There is typically no prohibition on contact or interference with other races protecting them from advanced technology. Economics and other factors that applied to exploration and colonization on Earth are the same factors that shape the Traveller Universe. However, governments may interdict planets with native primitive intelligent species. These interdicted worlds are commonly known as "Red Zones" based on the Imperial designation for such a world. 'Red' (or the less restrictive 'Amber') zones are often to protect the interest of an interstellar government, not the native population.
Read more about this topic: Traveller (role-playing Game)
Other articles related to "key features, feature, features":
... Social harmony will be a key feature of the Eco-city ... An important instrument will be subsidised public housing in the Eco-city, which will help to meet the housing needs of the lower and lower-middle income strata of society, and enable people of different income and social strata to live near to, and interact with, one another ...
... Feature Value 3G HSDPA 3.6 Mbit/s Wi-Fi No Bluetooth Yes,File Transfer OS Java Streaming Browser Compatible ...
... Cougar SV2 Launched at the at the Nurnberg Toy Fair in Feb 2012 Key Features NEW Hard anodised, laser etched, alloy chassis + 8mm longer ... Cougar SV 2011 SPEC Includes Titanium Turnbuckles Steel Idler Gears KEY FEATURES Accepts either stick or saddle (with optional tray) lipo batteries Unique constant radius steering system Mid-motor position ... steering and transmission 26 piece ball bearing set S1 KEY FEATURES As above except ...
... iGO amigo is a streamlined release, it has less features than its more robust predecessor iGO 8 ... Key features Integrated tutorial Smart keyboard grays out invalid characters for easier input Smart history ranks items via time/date, prior routes, current ... and the firm has promised a bug fix and several new features in their first update ...
... Details Kit # Dec 2012–Present to present CAT K1 KEY FEATURES New Optimised 2 belt transmission with efficient low tension Bando belts running on large CNC machined ... K136 £355.00 2011 to present CAT SX3 KEY FEATURES NEW Mid motor layout ... of the SX with a lot of optional parts de KEY FEATURES New large capacity 13mm big bore shocks New high downforce MAX sized rear wing New 2.5mm ...
Famous quotes containing the words features and/or key:
“It is a tribute to the peculiar horror of contemporary life that it makes the worst features of earlier timesthe stupefaction of the masses, the obsessed and driven lives of the bourgeoisieseem attractive by comparison.”
—Christopher Lasch (b. 1932)
“Every revolution was first a thought in one mans mind, and when the same thought occurs in another man, it is the key to that era.”
—Ralph Waldo Emerson (18031882)