Timeline of Events in Hamilton, Ontario - 1890–1899

1890–1899

  • 1890– First organized Hockey Game held in Hamilton; Bank of Hamilton VS Knox, Morgan. (this is the earliest reference to an organized hockey game being played in Hamilton.)
  • 1890– Hamilton's first Public Library opens up on Main Street West. Officially opened up by Lord and Lady Aberdeen on September 16, 1890.
  • 1890– First Bowling alley in the City opens at back of the J.W. MacDonald Tobacco shop, (66 James Street North).
  • 1892– June 29, 1892, is the date the first electric streetcar was operated in Hamilton. The first 2 Electric routes were King Street East and James Street North. Street cars continued running on Hamilton streets until 6 April 1951.
  • 1892– The Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway began operations.
  • 1892– The Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) converted to electrically powered vehicles in 1892.
  • 1892– James Street Incline railway opens up June-11th (1892–1932).
  • 1893– Hamilton's first large department store opens up; The Right House (James Street). Hamilton's first large department store.
  • 1893– The Sir John A. Macdonald Statue arrives in Hamilton from London, England on 30 October 1893. Official dedication of the statue took place 1 November 1893. Located at the intersection of King and Hughson Streets. Prime Minister Sir John Thompson in attendance.
  • 1893– Hamilton Electric Light Co. Electrify the street railway.
  • 1894– Harvey Park was named after Colonel John Harvey, a British Officer during the War of 1812. The name was accepted by Hamilton City Council 11 June 1894. (situated just West of Dundurn Park).
  • 1894– Hamilton Herald newspaper and cigar store owner Billy Carroll established the Around the Bay Road Race. Although it is not a proper marathon, it is the longest continuously held long distance foot race in North America.
  • 1895– Wentworth Incline railway begins operation on August 1895. (1895–1936)
  • 1895– The TH&B Railway came into Hamilton in 1895. A railway tunnel was then constructed from Queen to Park Street to cut down on the noise, pollution and disruption for the wealthy families who lived South of Jackson Street in the Durand neighbourhood.
  • 1896– Sir John Morison Gibson forms The Dominion Power and Transmission Company, that brought hydroelectric power, for the first time, to Hamilton, from their plant, at DeCrew Falls.
  • 1896– Hamilton Radial Electric Railway extended across Beach Strip. (7 September 1896).
  • 1896– Hamilton firefighters unionized.
  • 1897– John M. Lyle, Hamilton architect in the late 19th century and early 20th century, designs New York Public Library in 1897. (Later went on to design the Royal Alexandra Theatre, in Toronto (1907) and Union Station (Toronto) 1914–1921).
  • 1897– Adelaide Hoodless, was a Canadian educational reformer who founded the international women’s organization known as the Women’s Institutes in 1897.
  • 1897– Westinghouse established in Hamilton. first Westinghouse operation outside of the U.S.
  • 1898– The "Five Johns", (John Cameron, John Dickenson (Canadian politician), John Morison Gibson, John Moodie, Sr. and John Sutherland), form The Cataract Power Co. Ltd. introducing electric power to Hamilton in 1898. On August 25, 1898, power was sent twenty seven miles from DeCew Falls, St. Catharines, using water from the old Welland Canal. New industries, such as the forerunners of the Steel Co. of Canada (Stelco) and Canadian Westinghouse, were attracted here by the cheaper, more efficient power. One time this Company controlled hydro power from Brantford to St. Catharines, including the Hamilton Street Railway and the area's radial lines. Back then the city's nickname was "The Electric City."
  • 1898– The first automobile driven in Canada was by textile manufacturer John Moodie in 1898; A one-cylinder Winton he imported from Cleveland. John Moodie was also one of the founders of Canada's automobile club, the Hamilton Automobile Club (now CAA South Central Ontario), which was founded in 1903 when there were 18 cars in town. By 1920, there were 6,000 and Hamilton's ratio of one car for every 15 people was higher than that of New York, Chicago, Boston or Toronto.
  • 1899– Thomas Bain in 1899 becomes the Speaker of the Canadian House of Commons in Ottawa.
  • 1899– Dundurn becomes a city park and the Victorian Order of Nurses begin work in Hamilton.

Read more about this topic:  Timeline Of Events In Hamilton, Ontario