Threave Rovers F.C.

Threave Rovers F.C.

Threave Rovers Football Club is a football club from Castle Douglas in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Formed in October 1953, the club plays its home games at Meadow Park, in Castle Douglas.

Threave spent their early years engaged in friendlies and local cup competitions until they became a senior club in 1959 and replaced Whithorn F.C. in the South of Scotland Football League. They played for many years in the South of Scotland League, winning the Championship seven times, before moving to the East of Scotland Football League in 1998–99, (while simultaneously running a reserve team in the South of Scotland League).

They performed well in the more difficult East of Scotland League, finishing third in the 2003–04 season, before quitting that league and deciding to concentrate their full efforts on the South of Scotland League. They cited the financial burden of constantly travelling eastwards to games as the reason for this decision. However, despite it being generally held that the South League is the poorer of the two competitions, they only finished fourth in their first season back in the South despite having finished third the season before in the East. This was primarily down to losing their top players to Annan Athletic and Dalbeattie Star, who did not want to play at a lesser level of football..

In the 2007–08 Scottish Cup, they produced one of the biggest shocks when the club defeated Third Division Stenhousemuir 1–0 in the second round. Their reward was a home tie with Raith Rovers in the third round, but Threave lost the game 0–5. Threave recently lost 5–0 to Stenhousemuir in the 2008–09 Scottish cup at Ochilview Park.

The 2009–10 season proved to be another successful one for Threave who retained the League title, losing just one match all season. Rovers will once again represent the League in the 2010–2011 Scottish Cup. On Saturday 23 October 2010, Threave progressed to the third round of the Scottish Cup with a 4–2 win over Edinburgh City, at Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh. The third round draw saw Rovers once again pitted against old foes Stenhousemuir, and despite leading 2-0 at Ochilview Park, they were pegged back to 2-2 at the final whistle. Threave subsequently lost 1-5 at Meadow Park in the replay on Wednesday 12 January 2011, (originally scheduled for Saturday 27 November 2010, the third round replay was delayed for over six weeks following 15 weather-related postponements).

The 2010-11 season proved equally as successful as the last two when Rovers defeated rivals Dalbeattie Star in front of 350 spectators at Islecroft in the penultimate game of the season to complete a hat-trick of Championship wins. The Castle Douglas side also lifted the Potts Cup after winning a penalty shoot-out 3-0 against Crichton at Hospital Park, and the Cree Lodge Cup beating St Cuthbert Wanderers 5-1 in the Final. Leading scorer was Andrew Donley with 43 goals in all competitions.

Read more about Threave Rovers F.C.:  Honours